Honored Contributor

I was watching the Urban Decay show and bought the 2 lipstick One Day Only. I could have sworn they said it was sold out last night. Today I look online, you can still buy them. I hate when the hosts say you need to order now, thy're going fast! It's like you should trip over yourself trying to put your order in! The only thing I can think of is maybe people decide they don't want the product, take it out of their cart or cancel the order. I feel it's deceptive of QVC to do this.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I was watching the Urban Decay show and bought the 2 lipstick One Day Only. I could have sworn they said it was sold out last night. Today I look online, you can still buy them. I hate when the hosts say you need to order now, thy're going fast! It's like you should trip over yourself trying to put your order in! The only thing I can think of is maybe people decide they don't want the product, take it out of their cart or cancel the order. I feel it's deceptive of QVC to do this.

@Jordan2  What's deceptive? QVC can't control folks who cancel their orders. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   I think it could be for a couple of reasons.  

1 - they are trying to get impulse buyers to order

2 - people put it in their cart and never check out

3 - the vendor has more available 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   I was watching ITKWD a few weeks back and was interested in something while on air, and he said it sold out.  A few hours later it became available, so I'm thinking some didn't check out and complete the purchase, and they might end up keeping a limited number "in reserve" just in case they oversell while multiple people are ordering through customer service at the same time. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I think they've always done that.  People may be putting it in their cart and not ordering it, but they don't let you cancel anymore.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Earlier this afternoon I was watching an Earth shoe show.  They had a slide with horrible reviews that came in a terracotta color.  Kerstin kept saying how popular it was and you'd better grab it as it was getting so limited, blah, blah.  After the show, I checked and it was still available in every size.  QVC doesn't miss a trick when it comes to raking in those orders.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I am sure the inventory changes by the seond for the reasons already stated.

Honored Contributor

When they say "sold out" on tv, that doesn't always mean it's sold out.  I have heard various hosts say it 1000 time over the years.  If you go to the website, there might still be some available and often, there are.  They say sold out on tv because QVC is in tens of millions of homes and if something gets down to just a few hundred, they don't want thousands of people calling in and being disappointed.  That's bad for business.  This happened to me this morning.  They said that a SG top was sold out in my size in the only two colors I was interested in.  I went to the website I got the color I wanted because in reality, none of the colors were sold out in any size.  It's just that the inventory was very low.  

Honored Contributor

Yep, it happens sometimes.  Another example: yesterday I was watching a presentation and the host kept talking about colors getting limited and one selling out.  At the time, I couldn’t decide if I wanted to order.  After the presentation was over I decided I did, so I went online and the color I had wanted was on “Waitlist”, along with a few others, and one sold out.  So I waited a couple of hours, went back, and all the “Waitlist” colors were available.  However, the sold out item was still sold out.

They calculate how many people are on the phones and may be able to do that with the website too, I don’t know.  Sometimes people change their minds or their calculations aren’t completely correct.  They usually are pretty close though.  Sometimes I’ll see an item that sold out on air be available afterwards, but if I wait too long, it is indeed gone.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Sometimes people order and then cancel.  I don't see your point for this post.  If you wanted the lipstick and you ordered it, what is the problem?