Respected Contributor

@raven-blackbird  You are right, this looks more like a sea captain than a mailman.  However Van Gogh painted this portrait of his own mailman. 

@Gatorgirl posted this interesting link about the painting.

http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2001/van_gogh_postman/

Frequent Contributor

Having been a "Letter Carrier" let me tell you it is a 2-way street. All the people that you had been kind to give you back more than they will ever know. The people that you listen to for a little bit every day because you know they wait all day for you to come because they have no one else.The ones that are grumpy ,because they are alone, and you try to make smile .And of coarse the ones that are just as sweet as can be just because.

The PO has changed a lot because of e-mail and other sorces. They don't hire "career" emplyees anymore because the volume of mail just isn't there anymore, plus it saves them money. Which is always the bottom line nowadays. That is why you have so many different carriers on your route. Where as if you had the same carrier he or she would be somewhat familiar with your schedule and know when it is safe to leave a package at your back door maybe.

I am no longer a "carrier" but I think of all those people that were kind to me as well. A lot of them have passed. But I think of them often. They gave me just as much as maybe I had given them.

Honored Contributor

Poor VanGogh, it looks like he was suffering already from digitalis toxicity -- the man in the portrait looks yellowish orange.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

My elderly neighbor left her house and forgot that she had beans cooking. apparently they had cooked dry. so when the mailman arrived at the door he smelled the oberheating pot.

He went to a neignbor that happened to have a key and a bad event was averted. 

Just last month I forgot to stop my mail for a week long trip. I thought hubby took care and he thought I had done it. So when my mail was beginning to overflow, my mail carrier took it back to the PO. I had a note in my box from her that she was holding my mail at the main PO. She told me later that she knew something was wrong bc we always stop our mail. It was much appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our Mailman, the HERO!

[ Edited ]

Thats a nice mailman. Im glad the lady is ok. Ive heard stories of mailman and newspaper delivery people saving people by seeing the mail or papers pile up and reporting it so someone goes to check on the house.

Our mailman however, wont be saving anyone. Hes so lazy he rarely gets out of his truck, lol. unless something doesnt fit in the box. Our mail here in rural America is curb side (and the curb isnt far from the house but the way he acts youd think it was..lol).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles

How long ago did this happen. I am interested in publshing this story in our publication?

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

Love Martha my mail woman. I've had her for nine years and she's gone far beyond her duty. Especially delivering packages. I feel like I know her family. She's one in a million.

@febe1  LOL - this is why they switched to the term "mail carrier."   Around the time stewardesses became flight attendants!  Smiley Happy

I thought it looked a little strange as I wrote it, @Pearlee. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Poor VanGogh, it looks like he was suffering already from digitalis toxicity -- the man in the portrait looks yellowish orange.

His ear may have been bothering him, too. 

Honored Contributor

My mailman here in at my office downtown as been written up in our paper by other businesses telling how wonderful he is.  It so true.  Eric has never saved a life but he goes above and beyond all the time.  If a package comes in he knows is too heavy for me and my door is locked he will drop the reg. mail through the door slot and come back before he leaves the building to put my heavy package wherever I need it.  He will come back to see if I am back in my office for other mail too instead of bringing to me the next day or having me pick up at the main branch. 

Eric as never saved a life that I am aware of but the man knows how to make us feel like his only delivery all day.

My yearly holiday treats are good but not that good for the daily treatment he gives all of us.

Blessings to your caring mailman.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Neither rain nor sleet nor heart attacks!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~