Esteemed Contributor

I think we need to pray for the parents and families of those kids who were killed or injured in that horrific school bus crash in Tennessee.  I can't imagine what they are going thru.  God help them!

Honored Contributor

I read about this last night before bed and that the driver was arrested. God bless the families of these kids and their families.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

I know the bus driver was at fault, but when are they going to put seat belts in buses? I remember when we were riding buses to go to school and kids were all over the bus. This should be addressed, those poor kids.

Honored Contributor

Its terrible news. Happening right around the holidays  is piling on more grief for these poor families

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I hope and pray for healing of those children injured in this crash.  And I also pray for strength for those families who lost their young children in this terrible crash.  I cannot imagine what they are enduring now.

Respected Contributor

I have never really understood why school buses are not fitted for seat belts. Am sure the schools say it will cost too much. The picture of the accident scene is just horrible - I believe not only the families are suffering but the neighborhood where the plane crashed - to look at that? Horrible. So very very sad for so many people.

Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

I know the bus driver was at fault, but when are they going to put seat belts in buses? I remember when we were riding buses to go to school and kids were all over the bus. This should be addressed, those poor kids.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

The #1 argument against   seat belts on school buses is COST. Hard to believe isn't it?

Honored Contributor

Remember when you rode the school bus, it was in the 50's ,60's for myself, i remember the bouncing around in the seats, why should it not be mandated all school buses have seat belts.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: School bus crash

[ Edited ]

Sure, seat belts would theoretically be an improvement ,....  BUT .....  if a child refuses to put theirs on, is the bus driver liable?   What's the driver supposed to do?

Can you imagine trying to assure 50 kids are all buckled up before starting to drive?    I can't even  imagine what the driver is supposed to do if kids can't or won't comply!   Throw the kid off the bus? 

I seem to recall the last time I was on a ferris wheel there was a pull down bar securing us ....   maybe that's a possibility.    Or a modified seat belt with no buckle, but a velcro closure?

It's easy to say that seatbelts are the answer, but I think a test program of some sort needs to come first.  If parents don't want their kids riding busses, they can always drop kids off and pick them up themselves.   

Honored Contributor

I just heard the statistic on GMA ....  every year 5 American  children die in school bus accidents .....  which is surprisingly low.   

Yesterday, 5 children died.