Respected Contributor

Re: Ouch! Pennsylvania Turnpike multi multi vehicle pile up

On 2/14/2014 Jannabelle said:
On 2/14/2014 nunya said:

If a semi jack knifes in front of you, I don't think you have too many options. They were probably going to fast to begin with. I am always amazed when it snows the amount of people who fly by me in the passing lane through several inches of snow.

I agree 100%, but it is reported that is what happened in the south too, and they didn't have pileups that I recall seeing,I don't know, maybe believing ones self to be a experience driver in the ice and snow makes them a little over confident?

Could be. They had a 45 mph restriction on trucks and lifted it. They probably hit black ice.

Valued Contributor

On 2/14/2014 nunya said:
On 2/14/2014 nunya said:

If a semi jack knifes in front of you, I don't think you have too many options. They were probably going to fast to begin with. I am always amazed when it snows the amount of people who fly by me in the passing lane through several inches of snow.

I agree 100%, but it is reported that is what happened in the south too, and they didn't have pileups that I recall seeing,I don't know, maybe believing ones self to be a experience driver in the ice and snow makes them a little over confident?

Could be. They had a 45 mph restriction on trucks and lifted it. They probably hit black ice.

I think maybe truckers think they are the best drivers too,lol....and then they cause much of the problems, got to have them though! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

On 2/14/2014 nunya said:
On 2/14/2014 nunya said:

A lot of the southerners listened to authorities who told them to STAY HOME. There were fewer people on the roads to begin with. Also, many just abandoned their cars.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Valued Contributor

On 2/14/2014 Topaz Gem said:
On 2/14/2014 nunya said:
On 2/14/2014 nunya said:

A lot of the southerners listened to authorities who told them to STAY HOME. There were fewer people on the roads to begin with. Also, many just abandoned their cars.

There were thousands got caught in the weather due to unexpected snow a few weeks ago, especially in Atlanta, many many cars abandoned, due to wrecks blocking the road, but I never heard of pileups like this one....normally they are quick to obey and stay off the roads, most of them anyway.

Honored Contributor

On 2/14/2014 Lila Belle said:

There goes the argument northerners make, again, that people in the south don't know how to drive in the snow !

Stay safe !

It isn't only PA residents that use the turnpike and there are probably more out of state drivers than in state ones. The truck that caused the pile up was probably not a local one.

Respected Contributor

They are about to issue a flight restriction over the stretch of the Turnpike involved.

I think that might have to be for noise interference while looking for victims?

And for those asking earlier: the area of the road that this happened was clear, just wet. The problem came when the temp dipped and flash froze the wet area creating black ice, combined with sun glare and a lot of traffic.

Additionally, this area does not have a lot of "wiggle" room on the road outside of the lanes, so if one car or truck slides...there is no where to go to get out of the way.

Prayers for all.

Esteemed Contributor

Ouch! That photo says it all. I have seen through the news broadcasts many vehicles slipping and sliding on the roads back east in the various states. I additionally wonder what the auto insurance will eventually do with all the mishaps - do they just write them off as 'unfortunate' or 'acts of god'?

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Regular Contributor

I just saw this on the news. I want to know who the moron is that decided this morning that it was a good idea to lift the reduced speed limits!!!