Honored Contributor

New "Smart Home" Given to Marine Amputee and Family

I knew that the Gary Sinise Foundation did wonderful things for wounded veterans, but this is so beautiful.  Watch Marine Sergeant Frazier and his family cross the threshold of their brand new barrier-free house, equipped with the latest aids to make life easier for the wounded hero.

It's a lovely home for a lovely family.  Great work, Gary Sinise and team!  (I've always liked his acting, too!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAxsvT2lNu4

Honored Contributor

Re: New "Smart Home" Given to Marine Amputee and Family

Watching that gave me goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes.

Our wounded veterans deserve this and more.

Thank you for posting.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

He seems a wonderful, kind person, unimpresssed with his fame as an actor, and a true patriot.  His Hallmark movie Fallen Angel is one of my favorites.

Honored Contributor

i always love hearing stories like this......

last year THE VIEW, HOMES FOR OUR TROOPS, and HOME DEPOT gave a mortgage free home, fully furnished for a disabled naval vet and his family. it brought tears to my eyes.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/news/view-news/the-view-honors-veteran-timothy-birckhead

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Mr. Sinise is a hero too.  What a wonderful person.

Honored Contributor

That was a beautiful story..thank you.I wish I had the power to make that happen for a soldier and family too...what a good feeling for all of those involved knowing the military family has the joy of living life in their new home built with love to honor them.

Valued Contributor

What a wonderful story, thanks for sharing Oznell. Gary Sinise really is a patriot and a fine actor.

I agree Perkup, Fallen Angel is a really good movie.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Thank you for posting this.  I am married to a DAV.  In my husbands case they were able to save his leg after several operations and many months at Walter Reed. Now we face some of the side effects of Agent Orange not to mention what it does to some men mentally.  DH has been on medication all his life and will always have to be.  He can't live a normal life with out it.

I usually don't go into so much detail but this video choked me up because DH didn't get the help he needed (mentally) at the time.  I have often wondered if life would have been a little easier had he had some help early on.  I would like to add that the VA has and does take care of us but it failed the men early on when it came to mental issues.  All men who have seen the worst of the worst should have help immediately when they muster out.  It should not be their choice.  It should be mandatory, imo. 

I didn't mean to put anyone on a "downer". This is a subject close to my heart and I did go on a bit.

I am so filled with happiness for this brave veteran and his lovely family.  I am sure this home will ease a lot of his burdens. I thank him for his service. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell, I'm glad you posted this, thanks. I'm so happy for Sgt. Frazier and his family.  

Honored Contributor

Jubilant, your husband and all veterans who experience lingering effects of their faithful service and sacrifice deserve the very best.  I wish there was more awareness of them, and the cherished place they should occupy for all of us.  Thank you for sharing your story.  Love, Oznell