Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The once popular American dream of owning a home is not so much any more for many reasons. I really don't what dreams people have these days. Seems we're being squeezed out of having them like we use to.

Every time a house goes up for sale around me it is snapped up immediately.  House across street was on the market 7 days.  

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

We own a small rental house in the ' burbs and have kept the rent the same for the current tenant for about 8 years, even though we definitely could charge more. Why? She pays on time! And she's a divorced single mom. Why rock the boat? A good tenant deserves such consideration. We all win.

Landlords of individual properties are a whole nother thing than landlords who own multiple units and make their own living off those units while dealing with city and county codes and regulations, plus turnovers and upkeep.

The same issues apply whether one owns a handful of properties or more. It costs money to own the houses we own. We have upkeep, insurance, taxes, and annual city inspections and license fees. We made sure to buy houses in a top locales which are not "rental neighborhoods" and the city is wonderfully picky about home condition. Not knowing how our future might go, we begin in our 20s to buy houses years ago for income in retirement, but we are happy to take less each month, as I said, to keep good tenants. We just sold another of our rental houses last year and did the same thing there with a long- term tenant. We did not sell until she decided to move out of state. But your point about costs is the same for any of us who own properties.

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

My rent increased by $53 a month.  Merry Christmas to me!

Guess we won't be living here too long.

that's only $13.50/ week and only an increase of $689.00/year, which seems a totally reasonable increase....................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

My rent increased by $53 a month.  Merry Christmas to me!

Guess we won't be living here too long.

that's only $13.50/ week and only an increase of $689.00/year, which seems a totally reasonable increase....................................raven

Moving isn't cheap.  I agree with Raven, $53 a month isn't much of an increase. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's a healthy increase IF you're on a fixed income.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree  you know your circumstances better than anyone else does.  If you think it's going to make things too tight, I beleive you

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

The once popular American dream of owning a home is not so much any more for many reasons. I really don't what dreams people have these days. Seems we're being squeezed out of having them like we use to.

Every time a house goes up for sale around me it is snapped up immediately.  House across street was on the market 7 days.  

Same where I live, and here most of these are second homes where the snowbirds only spend the winter, though to be honest, many of the people here have sold their northern house and have a condo or some other less expensive home up there and this villa here.Anyway, these places sell faster than you can believe.

Esteemed Contributor

We have one rental. It's a view property. The rent is actually way too low based on the comps in the area, but we've been cautious in raising the rent more than a few dollars every couple of years because we really like the tenants. Anyway, just a thought for those that rent: Property taxes, home insurance, and utilities go up every year. So often times the owners of the property will make adjustments to compensate for their increased rates.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Contributor

@LilacTree  Hi LilacTree.  Are you saying that you took a $1,217 jump in rent when you and your daughter moved in together and you are paying the whole thing?  Doesn't she get an alimony check?  I know it's none of our business but shouldn't she be helping you out?  I remember you saying that she gives you money when she can but that is an arrangement you never should have agreed to, knowing your circumstances.

If her sisters will help her out when you are gone, then why can't they do it now, so you don't have to make another move?  That would make more sense, wouldn't it.

Good luck with whatever you decide but I think moving again, with all your medical problems, is not the best idea.  I know your daughters will probably agree.

Honored Contributor

Good grief!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all