Esteemed Contributor

Need Your Help With Knee Replacement!

[ Edited ]

I'm having a knee replacement on  6/2, and need your help with what type of clothing I will need after surgery and weeks following.  Might sound silly, but I'm stressing out about what to buy......any suggestions about what brand and style was comfortable will be greatly appreciated.....what worked best for you.....thank you.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Your Help With Knee Replacement!

I had mine in May and didn't wear anything special, just my usual crops and capris that I normally wear that time of year.  You don't have much wrapping around your knee after the first few days and you want clothing in which you can be active and do your PT.  Some people say they need new shoes as the bad knee threw their gait off and wore on their shoes abnormally, but I didnt.  It was helpful to have some Ryka clogs I didn't have to tie.  If you have and wear shorts, they would work well but I wouldn't rush out and buy a wardrobe of them.

What were you thinking you needed?  Why are you stressing about it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I wore shorts.  You will have the nurses and doctors looking at your incision.  In addition, you will be having PT and it would be much easier to move without fabric over your incision.  And, the best reason to have shorts is for going to the little girl's room.  Sure a lot easier to pull up shorts than anything with a long leg.  In fact, I had shorts with an elastic waist band so I didn't have stand trying to zip a zipper.  

The nurses gave me extra blankets to keep me warm. The only advice I can give (even though you asked only about clothing) is do your exercises.  If you don't do them you may as well not have the replacement done.  I'm two years out and NO PAIN.  The first two weeks are the toughest and then it seems like progress is made a little every day and by the end of a year you will not even think about it and the knee replacement will be thought of as part of your body.  

Good luck to you.  Hope everything goes well and keep us informed.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I had mine in May and didn't wear anything special, just my usual crops and capris that I normally wear that time of year.  You don't have much wrapping around your knee after the first few days and you want clothing in which you can be active and do your PT.  Some people say they need new shoes as the bad knee threw their gait off and wore on their shoes abnormally, but I didnt.  It was helpful to have some Ryka clogs I didn't have to tie.  If you have and wear shorts, they would work well but I wouldn't rush out and buy a wardrobe of them.

Thanks for the info....while i am not the OP...i may have to have surgery...going to the Ortho on Wednesday...knee has been real bad ...good to know I won't have to buy anything special...I have lots of peddle pushers...that should work....

Esteemed Contributor

Get loose fitting shorts.  I had significant swelling and crop pants or capris didn't cut it.  Also, I didn't like the feel of anything over the incision ... it was irritating.  Everyone reacts differently.  Best wishes to you!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

hi kachina624--thanks for your reply......i was thinking i needed loungewear type pants...my daily routine has been denim&co pull-on denim pants/crop/capris....didn't know if they would be loose enough....didn't know there wasn't alot of bulky wrapping involved....that makes me feel alot better.....i have a half-empty glass personality...so everything stresses me out....i'm 66 with severe arthritis and thought i could avoid this replacement......but this last knee flare-up did me in.....can you tell me how long your recovery was...i know everyone is different..and thanks again for your help......maybe you could come to RI if i need a kick in the butt during this procedure!!

Valued Contributor

I was a little stressed about what pants to buy when I was getting ready to have TKR in Nov. 2014. I normally wear jeans or sweat pants and the ones I had I knew would be too snug. I went to Kohl's and found 2 styles of sweat pants that had looser fitting legs. I don't remember the brand name but I think they were a Kohl's brand, like Sonoma?? I wore these to PT till I was done and they worked out great. 

Since you're having yours done in June, and depending what the temp. is like where you're at, sweat pants may be too warm. Maybe you could get some looser-fitting shorts, bermudas, or knee pants. You just have to have something with loose enough legs to get over your cast and to do your PT exercises without being restrictive. HTH

Trusted Contributor

I had mine in 2010 and then the second in 2011, seven months later.  Right before my second knee replacement my doctor told me every surgery is different.  For me, the first surgery was a lot more difficult; the second was really easy.  A friend had the exact opposite experience. 

Regarding clothing, I wore simple dresses, the pull over type.  It made it easy for access.  I used an ice machine a lot with the first surgery.  It actually helped more than pain medication. 

I did have PT for both surgeries, and after the first I stayed a week in a facility, which was very helpful. 

I did find that walking as well as water classes really helped with recovery.  I have had no issues, and I am glad I had the replacements.  My best to you.  I think you will be very pleased.

Respected Contributor

I had a left knee replacement last May. I stayed in my nightgown or wore some old shorts or wide leg pants for when the therapist came to my home. I had a big bulky dressing on my knee.  I used a walker for several weeks and I had to use a ice machine which had a pad that I had to wrap around my leg adding addt bulk.  So having loose clothing will help  make it a bit easier.  Hang in there, the outcome will be worth it, no more pain.

Honored Contributor

Shorts with loose leg openings were my choice.  You will want your knee to be easily accessible for PT, too.  Good luck!