Honored Contributor

Re: NEW ""Keurig 2"" will NOT allow for unlicensed K-Cups

On 9/6/2014 debc said:
On 9/6/2014 moonchilde said: I don't mind about the licensed K-cups or the price. I don't mind about not having a My K cup. But a couple of things I've been reading about the 2.0 in reviews from Costco really annoy me. 1) There is no 12 oz size on any machine, the largest "cup" size is 10 oz. Most people brew a 12 oz. cup for a coffee mug. You have to brew two 6-oz cups using the same K-cup, for example, as the work-around. Time-wasting. 2) The cup size resets to 0 so with every cup you have to choose your cup size again. WHY? 3) To use the "handy" hot water function, it will only spit out 6 oz at a time, and *you have to hold the button down with your finger while the entire 6 oz is coming out.* another "why"/pointless. There were a couple of other annoying things many purchasers pointed out, but these are the ones that would annoy me the most both because they would affect me and because they have no *need* to have made these random bizarre decisions. The version reviewed is the top priced one.

You can set a 'memory'. I know there's a 12 oz in there somewhere, I'm pretty sure they are going to come out with a travel size cup like the vue has or just use vue cups. I've see them in a couple youtube videos. I don't know if they're beta testers or what as I can't find them anywhere yet.

On the single serve coffee site several people always brew 2 cups into one to saturate the grounds. Starting with the smallest first. A 4 and then an 8, or two 6's.

The water thing might be an issue for me, but I might just empty a cafe express cup to run water through. It's instant anyway, so there really won't be any mess to deal with. Poke an extra hole or two in the bottom so it comes out faster.

Too many people bought this machine without a clue of what it's features were. I watched 3 presentations and read a ton of reviews before I took the plunge. And all the hacks, some might come in handy and other's seem like too much work. I can easily use a solofil in there, but frankly I'm tired of the mess using your own coffee is.

I have recycled some of my kcups as seed starters so where there's a will there's a way. You can even use one as a dome. This is also a lot of work, but if you take a sharp knife and cut the foil off and let the coffee dry out it's much easier.

After looking everywhere there was to look online including the entire Keurig site, I called Keurig. Their CS is 24/7 and during the day at least, you will get US operators. I asked her to specifically give me all of the individual cup sizes. For the 550 she stated 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16, 20, 22 and 30 oz. I know I'm leaving one out, sorry :-( when I mentioned to her that many on the Costco site were complaining about not having a 12 oz cup, she said the default cup size when you turn the machine on is 8 oz, and all you have to do is change it, but people who have never owned a Keurig before might not guess that. Makes sense, I suppose. I also did read about the Favorites settings on the site, but that only works with the carafe sized packs, not individual cups. She said if I always make 12 oz cups every day, there's a possibility it might stay at 12 instead of reverting to 8, she wasn't sure. Hope this helps with getting info out there.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

I did not read all 110 replies, but there is already a youtube video showing how to use the lid off of the new kcup to cover the older type lids and make them work in the new brewer.

They spent all that time & money and it took 10 minutes to figure out how to hack their attempt to force people to buy their overpriced coffee. LOL.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde: I think people who've never owned a Keurig will have the advantage, they might actually read the instructions without expectations of their old machine. Of course after the Vue, people should know better. That machine did not do well for me. I heard it was because of high altitude but water kept coming out of a back hole instead of through the kcup.

I don't think you can change it to 12, 16, or 18 without a special cup inserted. None of the videos I've seen show those sizes. Just like the 20 and up don't show up on the regular kcups. You have to have the carafe pack and the karate pushed into the cut out. There is a lot of preprogramming in the machine.

I'll have my machine Monday it looks like. It's here in town but UPS doesn't deliver on Sat. So I'll have time to play around and check some of this out.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

On 9/6/2014 Wadzlla said:

I did not read all 110 replies, but there is already a youtube video showing how to use the lid off of the new kcup to cover the older type lids and make them work in the new brewer.

They spent all that time & money and it took 10 minutes to figure out how to hack their attempt to force people to buy their overpriced coffee. LOL.

I'm guessing they are banking on the people who will not mess with it. I doubt I will, never say never tho. I'm sure they're not surprised in the least.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*