Trusted Contributor

NEW "Keurig 2" will NOT allow for unlicensed K-Cups

From singleservecoffee.com's page:

"Keurig 2.0 won’t brew or allow you to use unlicensed K-Cups in the brewer.

All Keurig K-Cup portion packs by the Fall and into next year will have some way to ensure that trying to use an unlicensed K-Cup will make the brewer not function and brew the coffee.

We do know that all older K-Cup brewers will brew and continue to work with the K-Cups with this anti-unlicensed graphic or tech built into the K-Cups. So this means your old brewer will continue to work and it can brew unlicensed K-Cups, but if you want to use the K-Carafe packs and we believe VUE packs you’ll need to get a Keurig 2.0.

We also know that once Keurig 2.0 comes out the older brewers will go bye bye. Keurig 2.0 will be the only Keurig brewer moving forward with various models we’re sure at various price points. We expect they will offer the K-Carafe model and Keurig 2.0 K-Cup only brewers etc. to keep the price points in line with the current K-Cup brewer lines.

We also expect to see unlicensed K-Cup brewers available, as they are available now from lots of retailers. But we don’t expect to see these unlicensed brewers along side Keurig 2.0 at key retail locations.

We’re pretty sure that people will buy the new brewer and potentially get some unlicensed K-Cups, and not be able to make a single serve cup of coffee."

Respected Contributor

Re: NEW ""Keurig 2"" will NOT allow for unlicensed K-Cups

Everybody has their own version these days. Patent must be off lol.

If I considered another Brewer I would look at the others..I bought a Hamilton Beach dual K Cup and Coffee Pot Machine. It is okay does the job! I don't drink coffee so it doesn't matter to me lol..

I see the Vue on clearance all over.

Trusted Contributor

Since it seems the companies make the bulk of their money from the coffee, I don't see why they can't slash the prices of the machines.

But I guess somehow they have to fund covering all the broken and non-working machines!

Honored Contributor

Yes, the patent of the original k-cups expired so now they are inventing a new version so they have the monopoly again.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I think this one will bite them in the butt then. I bought a Vue machine and dearly love it. I RARELY use VUE cups in it though as I get wonderful coffee using ground coffee and the solo-fill cups. If this machine quits and all I could get from Keurig is a machine that won't accept anything but their own cups, I won't buy it.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/24/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

I think this one will bite them in the butt then. I bought a Vue machine and dearly love it. I RARELY use VUE cups in it though as I get wonderful coffee using ground coffee and the solo-fill cups. If this machine quits and all I could get from Keurig is a machine that won't accept anything but their own cups, I won't buy it.

ITA, If someone was in the market to buy one of these new Keurigs-this would definitely be a strike against them.

Trusted Contributor

A compelling reason for me NOT to buy a Keurig! Not only do they charge a high price for their coffeemaker........they also want to limit buyers to using only their prepackaged, overpriced coffee. Phooey on 'em! My trusty percolator lets me use any kind of coffee I choose to buy, at any kind of savings this smart shopper can find -- and that's the way I like it. I am NOT interested in lining the pockets of these crafty Keurig capitalists, NOT interested in buying into a product that limits my choices.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for this info! Will not buy!
Respected Contributor

I heard about this already and it has to be one of the dumbest moves possible by Keurig. Unless there is some absolutely ""must have"" secret feature added to the 2.0. why would anyone want this limitation?

Esteemed Contributor

So glad I don't drink coffee. I too think this move will bite them in the butt.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead