Respected Contributor
I received a scare from my doctor who informed me you can contract meningitis from a sneeze. I was in the store and someone sneezed within 1 foot of me. Apparently the virus is contained in mucus secretions in your nose and throat. Very scary indeed. I had no idea. My doctor informed me it is rare but a real threat nonetheless,
Esteemed Contributor

I got it a few days after graduation in 1981, it was touch and go and when the Dr.'s told my Mom there was nothing else they could do, she had me discharged and into another hospital, I stayed there 2 more weeks but every day showed signs of improvement. I'm all better but do suffer from migraines.

Honored Contributor
I was 5 years old when my dad contracted meningitis. My mom, baby brother and I had to take medication as well, due to our exposure, but we did not get sick. My dad was hospitalized for weeks, but thankfully did not suffer brain damage from this bacterial infection.
Respected Contributor
I'm terrified of this disease. I worry it could be contracted through a sneeze.
Respected Contributor

A friend's small daughter held my 3 month old son and later slept in my bed while we played cards. Two days later she died in her bed. We took the medication along with her school mates, but our 3 month old was too small for the dose. It was very scary.

Honored Contributor
I had Meningitis (viral) and Encephalitis at the same time 8 1/2 years ago. I was so sick. I was in the hospital for 5 days and it took me 4 more weeks after that to feel like myself again. The scariest thing was that it hit in an instant and I couldn't communicate and was not right in my head. If I had lived alone, no way would I have had the presence of mind to call 911, unlock the door for the EMT's, etc. I went from being ok to not in an instant. Terrifying illnesses.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor
Gidget that is scary. I had no idea it could strike so fast. I had read it feels like the flu and people often mistake it for something else. I read a neck that is stiff is a symptom of this horrible disease. I imagine the only thing worse is ALS.
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't worry about catching it, which is what you're post seems to indicate. No other child in our town had it before our friend's child got it, and no one after did. She had a headache when mom put her to bed and never woke up. Mom a nurse never forgave herself.