Honored Contributor

Does anyone know anything about the Medicare Benefits Card for groceries and medical supplies for which I keep seeing ads?  Supposedly they (Medicare?) Send you a card with which you can get $2500 worth.

Wondering if it's legit?  Theis is the last month for enrollment this year.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Where did you get the info from I have never heard of this I have had Medicare for 4 years 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

I have a Medicare Advantage plan and it provides an extra benefits card.   This card is to purchase healthy foods.   You have to have a specific diagnosis (ex:  high blood pressure) to receive this benefit.  I get $150 per quarter to use for food.  It does not carry over, must be used up within the quarter.

I think the one they advertise on TV is for someone that had Medicaid and Medicare.  This considered dual coverage and someone that is on these plans receives a card that can be used for paying utilities and groceries.

Honored Contributor

I have a Medicare Advantage plan that gives me $60 each quarter to buy OTC items.  I would think that a person's income would need to be a certain level for them to get the benefits the OP mentions.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Medicare Benefit Card

[ Edited ]

The flex card has nothing to do with Medicare. It's sometimes offered through some Advantage plans. A person has to have a certain income, particular health issue or also qualifies for Medicaid in what is known as a "dual plan." Not everyone is eligible, and often people with Medicare supplemental plans don't qualify unless they're lower income or on disability.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Where did you get the info from I have never heard of this I have had Medicare for 4 years 

@I am still oxox.  They've been running ads for some time on social media.

If nobody else is familiar with it, I assume its a ploy to get contact info for insurance sales. 

Honored Contributor

@quilter61.  I don't think this is the same thing.  There's no mention of Medicaid.  They ask your age and if you have Medicare Part A or B.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's offered by some Advantage plans and there are as many variations as there are plans.  It's an enticement to seniors so they sign up with their plan.  I get $250 per quarter from an Aetna plan and monies not spent don't roll over to the next quarter.  It's meant to be used for medical out-of-pockets, like copayments and deductibles.  I don't know if OTC drugs are included.

Trusted Contributor

This has absolutely nothing to do with traditional Medicare and everything to do with Medicare Advantage plans.  They are basically bribing you to take their inferior plans that do not cover as much as traditional Medicare and a medigap plan combined. It's just another insurance company sleight of hand.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 

Look for this article on the AARP site. It might explain the card you've seen ads for. The article also warns of scams.

medicare flex card.JPG