Respected Contributor

Re: Man dies after starting Krispy Kreme Challenge in Raleigh

[ Edited ]

I've known two people who have died while working out in the early AM. 

I schedule exercise for the afternoon.

The Krispy Kreme element really didn't need to be in the story line.

Here is what I have heard that may be useful.  Heart rates are not stable when we first wake up.  Best to exercise later in the day.  My own sister pays no attention to this.  Smiley Happy  But just in case it helps someone else.  I have a much better workout at midday.  And I am a morning person, too---but exercise is best for me later in the day.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

I've known two people who have died while working out in the early AM. 

I schedule exercise for the afternoon.

The Krispy Kreme element really didn't need to be in the story line.

Here is what I have heard that may be useful.  Heart rates are not stable when we first wake up.  Best to exercise later in the day.  My own sister pays no attention to this.  Smiley Happy  But just in case it helps someone else.  I have a much better workout at midday.  And I am a morning person, too---but exercise is best for me later in the day.

I think they made the Krispy Kreme part prominant in the title specifically to get attention from the chronic outrage crowd. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

There were actually only 5 people who had the impression he ate the donuts.

The rest of us knew he did NOT eat the donuts.

I am now going to reward myself with a Krispy Creme and a cup of tea while I watch Judge Judy.

@gmkb

"a" Krispy Kreme??? I can eat at least a half dozen when they're hot with a big glass of cold milk!

I'm sure they were left off of the Food Pyramid by mistake, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Their glazed are basically sugar and air. I can't even eat those. They are way too sweet and they have no substance to them. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@BeckiWV wrote:

People die during races all the time.  

That is a myth some non-runner started.  I've ran many, as already mentioned, have worked and watched many more. I've seen many puke, but not a single heart attack, much less a death from one.

More people die at home sitting on "their water closet(throne) than while running a road race.

hckynut(john)

John, I don't know all the statistics, of course, so maybe I shouldn't say "all the time", but I do happen to know of someone who collapsed near the finish line at a half-marathon several years ago. It does happen, maybe not often, but it does.

Conversely, I also happen to know of someone that died on their throne, and yes, that happens as well.

I have completed many 5K's myself and two half-marathons.  I didn't have a heart attack, but I sure thought I was going to.  Smiley Happy

Have a good one, Becki

Esteemed Contributor

@BeckiWV wrote:

John, I don't know all the statistics, of course, so maybe I shouldn't say "all the time", but I do happen to know of someone who collapsed near the finish line at a half-marathon several years ago. It does happen, maybe not often, but it does.

Conversely, I also happen to know of someone that died on their throne, and yes, that happens as well.

I have completed many 5K's myself and two half-marathons.  I didn't have a heart attack, but I sure thought I was going to.  Smiley Happy

Have a good one, Becki

Hi Beckl,

Congrats to you on running 2 half-marathons they take a lot of training. Now the 5k got to be my favorite distance as I grew older. I preferred them to the more popular 10k runs. Could work a little more on speed in the shorter distance.

A lot of our local races would also throw in a 1 mile run about half hour before the choice of a 5k or 10k after. I was never real fast, but those mile runs really helped lower my times in the 10k.

Many of my co-workers got a kick out of showing me articles about people that died while running. I just told them that is news that sells papers, and them I gave them my "on the throne" bit.

I quit running road races after my first battle with Lung Blood Clots(PE). I didn't feel that strong the 7 years I was on blood thinners(coumadin/warfarin). Was anemic a lot of those years. Walking around the house at times felt like a marathon to me. 

Thanks for your input on this thread. Always enjoy talking with others that really get us distance runners.

Best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Beckl,

Congrats to you on running 2 half-marathons they take a lot of training. Now the 5k got to be my favorite distance as I grew older. I preferred them to the more popular 10k runs. Could work a little more on speed in the shorter distance.

A lot of our local races would also throw in a 1 mile run about half hour before the choice of a 5k or 10k after. I was never real fast, but those mile runs really helped lower my times in the 10k.

Many of my co-workers got a kick out of showing me articles about people that died while running. I just told them that is news that sells papers, and them I gave them my "on the throne" bit.

I quit running road races after my first battle with Lung Blood Clots(PE). I didn't feel that strong the 7 years I was on blood thinners(coumadin/warfarin). Was anemic a lot of those years. Walking around the house at times felt like a marathon to me. 

Thanks for your input on this thread. Always enjoy talking with others that really get us distance runners.

Best to you,

hckynut(john)

I love running so much, John, even though I am not good.  There is nothing like that runner's high and sense of accomplishment you get after a race, even if you are dead last, which I have been before, back in the beginning.  I think you will probably appreciate what I mean when I say that I really enjoy the equisite pain and torture of training for a race, LOL, even when I can barely make it back to my car.  I completed my most recent half-marathon this past August.  I trained all summer with my daughter and she did it with me (well, she actually left me during the race, but she was there for me at the end, LOL).  I am not so much for speed these days as endurance, I just want to see if I can do it.  I always enter as a runner but will walk if I need to.  I would love to do a full marathon one day but right now I really enjoy 5K's too and am looking forward to starting some of those in the spring.   

I'm so sorry that you had to give up races, as I can see that you love them.  Nice to talk to you too.  Becki

QVC Customer Care