Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

It's nice of her to give away that much wealth, although I doubt she will even miss it. I just wish the uber rich would just pay their fair share to begin with.

What's the definition of 'fair share'?  She gave away half of what he gave to her from his earnings so I'm not sure why we are supposed to be impressed.

He gave her what she earned.  She didn't even go after him for what she probably could have gotten because she realized at this point this is stupid money and opted for the classy route as opposed to the one he has chosen.

She started the business alongside him from the ground up and helped him build it into what it is today along with raising their children.  She has earned this money and I am impressed with the grace she has shown throughout her husbands indescretions and her generosity after dividing their assets.

Good on you Mackenzie!

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

It's nice of her to give away that much wealth, although I doubt she will even miss it. I just wish the uber rich would just pay their fair share to begin with.

What's the definition of 'fair share'?  She gave away half of what he gave to her from his earnings so I'm not sure why we are supposed to be impressed.

They were married for 25 years and he didn't "give" her anything. It was a divorce settlement and she did not have to pledge anything. Her decision is very impressive.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

They were married for 25 years and he didn't "give" her anything. It was a divorce settlement and she did not have to pledge anything. Her decision is very impressive.

Of course she didn't have to pledge anything, however the last time I checked, a judge lays out the order and fiscal details of a settlement.  It's ok to disagree about what's impressive and what's not imo.

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Gave to her from his earnings?

I suddenly feel like I've been transported back about a century.

Nevertheless, I am impressed she signed on to give away half her wealth.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

Of course she didn't have to pledge anything, however the last time I checked, a judge lays out the order and fiscal details of a settlement.  It's ok to disagree about what's impressive and what's not imo.

The last time I checked a judge approves or denies a financial settlement agreed to by the couple in an uncontested divorce which this was.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Giving away half of her wealth will not impact her life at all....other than to have the joy of transforming the live's of others.  

Esteemed Contributor

Had she not been married to Bezos, she wouldn't have the kind of money she has to give away.  I don't know what her part was in starting and/or building amazon.

If someone wants to give their money away, that's fine with me.  At the same time, I won't condemn or speak ill of anyone who doesn't feel the same way.  Their money, their choice. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I wish someone would define "fair share."

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I wish someone would define "fair share."

Thank you Esme, from what I can tell it's code for somebody else's hard earned cash, shrugs.

Respected Contributor

It's not like she's going to have to live on beans & weenies on her remaining $35 billion!