Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

The last time I checked a judge approves or denies a financial settlement agreed to by the couple in an uncontested divorce which this was.

?  We don't know what was 'agreed' upon without legal intervention or mediation, either way, I stand by my earlier comments, which should be ok.

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

It's nice of her to give away that much wealth, although I doubt she will even miss it. I just wish the uber rich would just pay their fair share to begin with.

I wish someone would define "fair share."

Thank you Esme, from what I can tell it's code for somebody else's hard earned cash, shrugs.

I seriousy doubt that anyone posting here falls into the one-tenth of one percent that we are discussing.  

As far as the term "hard earned," how many have actually "earned" their fortunes?  We should rephrase that into possibly "hard inherited."  And by the way, they have teams of attorneys in place to protect them and their fortunes.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I seriousy doubt that anyone posting here falls into the one-tenth of one percent that we are discussing.  

As far as the term "hard earned," how many have actually "earned" their fortunes?  We should rephrase that into possibly "hard inherited."  And by the way, they have teams of attorneys in place to protect them and their fortunes.

Plenty my parents are one example but we can agree, a legal team is paid to make sure the money is properly allocated, it's what they are paid to do. Why we are supposed to pretend otherwise is perplexing to me.

Respected Contributor
Omg. Yes, of course. LOLOLOL!
Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

It's nice of her to give away that much wealth, although I doubt she will even miss it. I just wish the uber rich would just pay their fair share to begin with.

Thank you Esme, from what I can tell it's code for somebody else's hard earned cash, shrugs.

Drives me absolutely crazy when I see that phrase.  Along with people I have met that did not do the work in school or the work force and want it all on a platter, just because.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

They were married for 25 years and he didn't "give" her anything. It was a divorce settlement and she did not have to pledge anything. Her decision is very impressive.

Of course she didn't have to pledge anything, however the last time I checked, a judge lays out the order and fiscal details of a settlement.  It's ok to disagree about what's impressive and what's not imo.

You might want to go back and look at their story from the beginning.  She didn't take anything from him.  It's not as if she married him after he had amassed his wealth.

And no a judge doesn't necessarily lay out everything.  Some people come to an agreement on their own, which is presented to the judge.

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

What's the definition of 'fair share'?  She gave away half of what he gave to her from his earnings so I'm not sure why we are supposed to be impressed.

@SydneyH, putting aside the "fair share" thing, no one can force you to be impressed. But I can't help wonder the reason that you wouldn't at least acknowledge such a hefty donation. Do you think that she shouldn't have made such a contribution or what?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mackenzie Bezos

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Maybe it has to do with all the tax breaks and other concessions given that others would never be able to afford. Maybe it has to do with low wages paid by ultra rich to employees while those employees don't have accountants and lawyers to get them out of paying taxes, etc. Depends on whose hard earned cash is being affected, and some certainly don't have the luxury of getting out of those taxes, etc. or have been given subsidies.

Respected Contributor
We're posting with the ultra rich, the 1%. They must have acquired their wealth by being selfish and unimpressed. But they do still choose to work at Kohls, Macy's and TJ Maxx. I guess it helps them stay in touch with the little people.
Honored Contributor
I think the most gratifying part of her giving away so much money is knowing it is her ex’s money she is giving away.