Trusted Contributor

Re: MY BEAUTIFUL LABRADOODLE DIED

@KateinOK,

I am so sorry. 

I have considered getting a dog in the future, and when/if I do, I think I will consider a maltese.  I understand these dogs shed a minimal amount, and are good for those people who may have allergies.

I have read these dogs are good with kids, although they are very small so kids would have to be watched to make sure they are very gentle.

I have also read that maltese are a great lap dog. 

I am certainly not an expert on this breed, or any other breed.  We had a basset hound which was the most lovable, friendly dog ever.  She would wag her tail and love everyone, including the mail carrier, UPS man, the garbage man, the meter readers.  Yup, she was no watch dog, lol. 

At the vet's office, other dogs would be shaking from fear in the waiting room and she would be wagging her tail.  Heart  Not sure if that is common basset characteristics, or if we had a very special pup.

Respected Contributor

@oceantown wrote:

@KateinOK,

I am so sorry. 

I have considered getting a dog in the future, and when/if I do, I think I will consider a maltese.  I understand these dogs shed a minimal amount, and are good for those people who may have allergies.

As a major animal lover who also has major allergies, I can say that maltese.... and bichons..... although non-shedding, are not as hypoallergenic as poodles and havanese.  I learned the hard way!  I was so surprised to be allergic to the bichon that I asked the vet about it.  She said that they have thinner skin and different dander.  Go figure.  

To put my allergies into perspective, they are so bad that the vet comes outside to see me.  I can't go into the office.  I bring a beach chair and sit outside with my poodles.  The vet does the exam there on the sidewalk.

Respected Contributor

@dmod nj

I was born in Englewood Cliffs.  My grandparents lived in Fort Lee (my mom grew up there), then they moved to Sussex County when I was about two.

At the same time, my parents and I moved to Arizona, but I spent every summer in Sussex County with my grandparents until I was in college.  My grandparents lived there until they passed away (both within the last six years.)

My grandmother used to take me shopping in Morristown for new school clothes at the end of the summer before I went home.  (This was in the 1970s.)  Then the mall was built in Rockaway after that and we went there!  (Or I went there with my Jersey friends Smiley Happy

My aunt was a nun, and she is buried at Villa Walsh (which I think is in Morristown), if you are familiar with that.

I always loved that whole area!

Best wishes for your mom.  I know that ALDs are very intuitive, so I'm sure that Jersey is a big help to her, and you. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trusted Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@oceantown wrote:

@KateinOK,

I am so sorry. 

As a major animal lover who also has major allergies, I can say that maltese.... and bichons..... although non-shedding, are not as hypoallergenic as poodles and havanese.  I learned the hard way!  I was so surprised to be allergic to the bichon that I asked the vet about it.  She said that they have thinner skin and different dander.  Go figure.  

To put my allergies into perspective, they are so bad that the vet comes outside to see me.  I can't go into the office.  I bring a beach chair and sit outside with my poodles.  The vet does the exam there on the sidewalk.

Thanks for your reply.  That is very interesting info on the Havanese.  I had no idea they were good for those with allergies.  I am not highly allergic, but I have family members that are sometimes allergic to dogs and/or cats. 

I am sometimes allergic, especially when I visit my friend that has several dogs.  I don't think they are groomed very often, and as soon as I walk into their house, or ride in their car, I smell dog.  Ugh. 

I looked up info on the Havanese, and that is an adorable dog! 

You must be very sensitive, and it is sure nice that your vet comes outside!

Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@dmod nj

I was born in Englewood Cliffs.  My grandparents lived in Fort Lee (my mom grew up there), then they moved to Sussex County when I was about two.

At the same time, my parents and I moved to Arizona, but I spent every summer in Sussex County with my grandparents until I was in college.  My grandparents lived there until they passed away (both within the last six years.)

My grandmother used to take me shopping in Morristown for new school clothes at the end of the summer before I went home.  (This was in the 1970s.)  Then the mall was built in Rockaway after that and we went there!  (Or I went there with my Jersey friends Smiley Happy

My aunt was a nun, and she is buried at Villa Walsh (which I think is in Morristown), if you are familiar with that.

I always loved that whole area!

Best wishes for your mom.  I know that ALDs are very intuitive, so I'm sure that Jersey is a big help to her, and you. 

@Marienkaefer2  I grew up in Bergen County.  I was in the Fort Lee area not too long ago.   As far as Morris County,  I am very familiar with all the areas you posted about.

Thank you for the kind wishes for my mom.  Yes, Jersey is very intuitive to her needs when we visit.  Eventually, my plan is to attend classes to have her certified as a therapy dog.  

Once a Jersey girl, always a Jersey girl.   Smiley Happy

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

@oceantown wrote:

@ItsME wrote:

@oceantown wrote:

@KateinOK,

I am so sorry. 

Thanks for your reply.  That is very interesting info on the Havanese.  I had no idea they were good for those with allergies.  I am not highly allergic, but I have family members that are sometimes allergic to dogs and/or cats. 

I am sometimes allergic, especially when I visit my friend that has several dogs.  I don't think they are groomed very often, and as soon as I walk into their house, or ride in their car, I smell dog.  Ugh. 

I looked up info on the Havanese, and that is an adorable dog! 

You must be very sensitive, and it is sure nice that your vet comes outside!

Thanks again.

You're welcome!  My friend is on her second Havanese.  The first one was a very nice, sweet, friendly and loving boy.  He spent months of his life with me while his mom traveled (two to three weeks at a time). i never had a problem with allergies with him, and he slept in my bed.  Her current one is absolutely adorable... she's like the energizer bunny, and her tail never stops wagging.  Also very friendly... .that's one of the traits of the Havanese.

I can't handle dog smell either.  One of the many great traits of poodles and havanese, and probably other nonshedding dogs, is that they don't smell like dogs!

Super Contributor

KateinOK, sending hugs and wags to you. Sorry about your best friend and baby, no more suffering for him.

Respected Contributor

@dmod nj

I want to train Charlie as a therapy dog, too!   There is a program called "Dogs On Call" where I live, and dogs go to schools, retirement homes, etc.

I want to train him to be a reading dog for kids.  I've seen them and it's great!

Yes, I love NJ.  My grandparents are gone now, and most of our other relatives are spread out all over the place.  But we always feel like Jersey.  Smiley Happy  Heart

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2   Charlie will do great! When my mom was in and out of two different rehab facilities, I took Jersey to visit her.   It would take me up to 20 minutes to get to her room, because everyone I passed in the hallways had to stop and pet Jersey.      At that point, she had just been to puppy kindergarten classes.  She was cautious of the wheelchairs at first, but if I had her sit in front of the person, she was fine.  Now, wheelchairs and walkers don't bother her.

I have a nephew with special needs.   He was afraid of my other dogs (mini schnauzers) growing up.   He is OK with Jersey.  She was patient and allowed him get more and more comfortable with her.  

I've heard about  a reading dog program in a local school.  It was huge success!  I would love to take Jersey into a special education school/classroom.  She is so used to my nephew, I bet she would be awesome with others!! 

I've been swamped with helping care for my parents. I live about an hour away and make that trip several times a week.   But, getting Jersey trained, as a therapy dog, is #1 on the to do list,  in the not too distant future.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

@KateinOK

I am so sorry for the loss of your fur baby! Hugs and healing prayers. ❤️🐾🐾👀