Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leveling the playing field in college admissions

As an English teaacher, I sometimes help my neighbor girl with composition or writing projects. Recently, she has been busy applying for colleges, two in my state of Washington and one in New York. One of the universites is the one I attended, so I was particularly interested in what the application process was now. Wow. It is quite extensive since I attended. She of course had to submit SAT scores and GPA cumulative. However, she had to complete a resume of work and school experiences. Then she had to submit an essay that detailed something or someone in her life which had molded her character and outlook. That was the longest composition.  In addition, she had to write shorter pieces on her commitment to diversity, community involvement, and plans for her future. Similar types of application processes were evident in the other schools she applied to as well. My university is huge, so I was trying to imagine who read all of that and how many people were involved in selecting those who are admitted. I was impressed, but also thought the selection process was daunting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:
My husband came from a very poor family living in a disadvantaged all around area.  His high school didn't expect many to go to college, and those who did probably to a junior college or tech 2-year program.

He had about six items of clothing when he went to a college, paid his way except for some aid and help because of his grades.  People who want education badly enough in this country can get it.   If you want to make it in this country you can.  There is help available.  If you want a handout, or don't see the value of it, how can you expect to do well?  That may sound really crass, but to me the problem with education today lies mostly in the fact that we don't value education enough.

It isn't about the money--it is about giving kids the burning desire to learn, be educated and make something of themselves.  THAT is what is lacking. Somehow it has gotten so that it's sort of "tainted" to be smart and successful to our younger generations.

@Sooner

I put myself through college.  I worked two jobs at the same time I was in school, took 15 units a semester, once I took 18 units, got a straight A average, graduated with honors and did it all while suffering from lupus.

That's almost impossible to do today.  Your husband and I were not paying $40,000 a year in tuition and then maybe $20,000 a year on top of that for living expenses. 

When my daughter was in grad school, she was paying close to $1000 a SEMESTER just for text books.

Your husband and I did not have comparatively high prices like that to cover.

That can't be done today.

Honored Contributor

"Somehow it has gotten so that it's sort of 'tainted' to be smart and successful to our younger generations."

@Sooner

If that was true, the SRA program I posted about would not have all those kids applying for college, and that includes the homeless kids living on the street by themselves, sleeping in doorways and still going to classes in HS.

Honored Contributor

Sorry, but it can be done today.  Lots of good universities have excellent financial aid and all sorts of help to get kids through school.  It's not easy, but I know for a fact it CAN be done; and is being done by a lot of kids.  

There is a huge difference in both costs and aid packages among universities. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Sorry, but it can be done today.  Lots of good universities have excellent financial aid and all sorts of help to get kids through school.  It's not easy, but I know for a fact it CAN be done; and is being done by a lot of kids.  

I totally disagree. 

A two year city college maybe, but not living on one's own and covering the cost of a good college.

And I disagree it's being done by a lot of kids, I've helped too many try, I know what the factors are. 

How many 18 year olds out there are making at least $30,000 a year working part time?   Nope.

Respected Contributor

I would have to agree with Sooner. Poor kids can begin by checking the internet to see what kinds of jobs they are interested in and pay the most in their area.  Then they should hook up with a person in that work area who went to the best state school in their state.  Find out how that person got in and follow their lead.  Go to state school with grants and loans.  Then work that job to pay off loans.  Repeat that process if they wish to go to grad school.  It can be done if a poor kid has a goal, is willing to work hard and to go into a high paying field.

Even at Harvard, family money means nothing now--it is all about the kid and the focus and the reaching out for opportunities. 

Esteemed Contributor

Would we have people like, for example, Dr. Ben Carson if students weren't given a chance ?
Esteemed Contributor

There are so many brilliant people around the world, living in extreme poverty or in a 3rd world country, that if given the opportunity for an education, might become the next Einstein, a great writer, inventor, scientist.

Who knows what great advancements they might bring ? Maybe a cure for cancer ?

Trusted Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
There are so many brilliant people around the world, living in extreme poverty or in a 3rd world country, that if given the opportunity for an education, might become the next Einstein, a great writer, inventor, scientist.

Who knows what great advancements they might bring ? Maybe a cure for cancer ?

I couldn't agree more.  Under the current system, you need to show that you have made a difference in the world before you are even 18.  Instead of working after school and maybe being on one sports team, children are pressured to do massive amounts of community services, travel to amazing places with incredible stories to share, and do multiple sports and extracurricular activities...while still maintining a high GPA.  

I know people with very smart kids who have done impressive things in high school that aren't getting into any of their top choices.  Imagine the boys and girls who can't afford a car, take a bus to and from school and their after school job...no college wants them these days.  They can have a 4.2 GPA and have a brilliant and eager brain, but their high school resume doesn't impress.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I totally disagree. 

A two year city college maybe, but not living on one's own and covering the cost of a good college.

And I disagree it's being done by a lot of kids, I've helped too many try, I know what the factors are. 

How many 18 year olds out there are making at least $30,000 a year working part time?   Nope.

There are many very good community colleges which will allow students to live at home and get an education.  Community colleges here have partnered with State Universities to offer 4 year bachelors programs, making it possible for students to work their way through school.  I have a niece who is doing just that, planning on being a Math teacher.  Don't need $30,000 a year to get a good education or live away from home.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.