Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leveling the playing field in college admissions

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
There are so many brilliant people around the world, living in extreme poverty or in a 3rd world country, that if given the opportunity for an education, might become the next Einstein, a great writer, inventor, scientist.

Who knows what great advancements they might bring ? Maybe a cure for cancer ?

I couldn't agree more.  Under the current system, you need to show that you have made a difference in the world before you are even 18.  Instead of working after school and maybe being on one sports team, children are pressured to do massive amounts of community services, travel to amazing places with incredible stories to share, and do multiple sports and extracurricular activities...while still maintining a high GPA.  

I know people with very smart kids who have done impressive things in high school that aren't getting into any of their top choices.  Imagine the boys and girls who can't afford a car, take a bus to and from school and their after school job...no college wants them these days.  They can have a 4.2 GPA and have a brilliant and eager brain, but their high school resume doesn't impress.

Have to disagree, there are options available for a higher education.  I think people need to get away from "better schools" mentality.  There are very bright people who have come out of some of the worse public school systems in the country.  An education is something you give yourself not what a school gives you. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leveling the playing field - College admissions

As a teacher there are so many great kids out there who are at a disadvantage because of the COST of education.  Getting into these colleges are one thing... but it is the staying power.  The standards are high (so I am told)... so get in... HOW TO STAY IN AND SUCCEED.....should be the focus.  

Many of my students over the years still see me around.  Many come to my house as electricians and plumbers, and carpenters.  They never went to college, but they are doing just fine.  We need to value ALL WORK and not be so hung up on GOING TO COLLEGE.  Success is in the person, not in the degree or the school title.  

Valued Contributor

This is nothing more than affirmative action for college admissions. I do not agree with this. 

Honored Contributor

Just the other day, there was an article I read about the best colleges/universities in each state and what their admissions rate was.  This is Harvard's:

For the seventh consecutive year, a record low percentage of applicants received offers of admission to Harvard College. A total of 5.8 percent of 35,023 applicants were admitted to the Class of 2017, the University announced Thursday.
Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

This is nothing more than affirmative action for college admissions. I do not agree with this. 

Where do you come up with that baloney?

There is no dumbing down, that's not what it's about.  I have no idea how so many people on this line came up with that fallacy.

It's about relieving the stress of those who apply, and that SURE IS NOT the poor.

Honored Contributor

This whole concept is right up there with doling out trophys and awards so nobody feels 'left out'...

Guess what, the real world is not a level playing field...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

Where do you come up with that baloney?

There is no dumbing down, that's not what it's about.  I have no idea how so many people on this line came up with that fallacy.

It's about relieving the stress of those who apply, and that SURE IS NOT the poor.

ITA Noel.  I know of universities that are already doing this. 

However, I think that the "pipeline" from K-12 to university needs to be strengthened, so that ALL students are "college ready" when they graduate high school, no matter what they choose to do after high school, whether it's four year college, two year college, apprenticeship, military service, etc. 

Studies show that being "college ready" is the best preparation for success for whatever you choose to do.

However, if we want to succeed as a nation, we need to support postsecondary ed.  The jobs of the future require new technical skills, and our students won't be ready for that and the US won't be able to compete on the global stage, without having an educated population.  (Noel, I know you know this, I'm just posting for my own sake! Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

This whole concept is right up there with doling out trophys and awards so nobody feels 'left out'...

Guess what, the real world is not a level playing field...

Isn't that the whole point?

Respected Contributor

I'm all for everyone getting a good eduation but who said it has to be Harvard?  If you're come from a family that can't afford a regular 4 year college, there's community college first, then a state school.  Getting a job right out of college and earning money to pay for college first is also a good idea. I didn't come from much and neither did my DH.  I never went to college, just got a job right out of high school, DH went, lived at home for the first 2 years, to save money.  He hated living at home for those first 2 years but at the end of his college days, he didn't have any debt.  You can stay out of debt, it is possible.  It takes a lot of hard choices and you don't get the "college experience" that many get but you do get an education.  If you can't get a scholarship and grants to go to a $50,000+ a year school, I don't care who you are or what your income is, you have no business going to that school and going into that kind of debt.   Most students think that they're going to come out of school and make $100,000 a year.  Not all jobs start very high, even my DH who is an engineer didn't make a lot of money when he came out of school, it took years of hard work to get there.  He makes a wonderful living now but he's 61.  My daughter graduated from college in 2012, lived at home, worked full time, went to graduate school full time and is now finally making enough money to move out.  Her first job didn't pay enough to pay rent, etc.  It's hard for some kids when they get out of college, I get that, my two have struggled.  DS worked full time and had a part time job when he got out of school in 2008, he worked that second job for 3 years.  We sent out two children to schools that we could afford, period.  We told them, you can't go to a school we can't afford to pay for. 

Respected Contributor

Hay, you are SO right.  We only offered to pay for our son to go to schools that we all thought were better than our friendly state school, U of Michigan.  Nationwide, we all only picked two--Cal Tech and Harvard.  Our son got into both and went to Harvard.  Other private schools were NOT worth the cost.  Just NOT.