Honored Contributor

Re: Just curious about Halloween in your area

[ Edited ]

@ 200 private, heavily forested acres, @ 17 homes, no paved roads, no sidewalks, no streetlights, no trick or treats.

P.S.  Not being held captive, live here by choice!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Trick or Treat wasn't all that common when/where I was growing up.  We dressed up for school some years and almost always had a family house party with the usual party games (apple dunking, etc.).  

When I lived in CA in 70s ad 80s - not much trick or treat activity.  Went to a few adult house parties.  

Now I live in a highrise in NYC ... trick/treat not allowed - but the management does host a halloween party for the kids here at at the park.  

None of our friends do house parties any longer ... times and people change.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe - that is sounding better and better to me everyday - might be looking in the next couple of years.

Trusted Contributor

the local church does what is called trink or treat.  all the cars pull into the chruch parking lot and the kids trick or treat all arond the cars.  the people in the cars pass out treats.

this way,  parents know who gave what candy and that it is safe.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@ 200 private, heavily forested acres, @ 17 homes, no paved roads, no sidewalks, no streetlights, no trick or treats.

@Drythe

That sounds heavenly!  Nature and privacy.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Our town hosts Trick or Trunk usually the weekend before Halloween.  Parents are invited to participate by parking at the designated parking lot (usually one of the area schools), open their trunk and pass out candy.  Many kids in town participate as I live in a fairly rural area and its hard for some kids to walk around.  I, personally, live in a housing development of about 200 homes.  There was a time we had close to 200 kids at our front step but this has shrunk to about 100 or less the past few years.  I enjoying seeing the kids in costume and know many as I worked for the school district for many years before I retired.  The only thing I dont like is my little dog getting so worked up everytime someones ring the doorbell, which goes on from aroung 4-8 pm on Halloween.

Honored Contributor

Putting an age limit for trick-or-treating would be impossible to enforce; my guess is it is to discourage parents from allowing their older kids to go out. We have had truckloads of kids from the other side of town dropped off at the main entrance of our neighborhood ...all ages, but with so many security cameras on almost every porch, fewer older kids are coming and that's probably because of the mischief they had planned. Our neighborhood has had many children who have grown up and moved away....fewer children now....but now homeowners bring their grandchildren instead...and that is fun! 

We turn off our light after there is a thirty minute lull in the action...or at 8 o'clock, whichever comes first. 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Drythe

LOL! And "your choice" sounds amazing!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I am totally happy that our condo community has no kids.  Therefore, I have no one coming to the door for candy.  I can't stand Halloween.  I never liked it as a kid, either.  My mom made me and my sister go out when we were younger.  Once we got older we didn't go out anymore.  But then my dad made me and my sister give out the stupid candy, which I hated. 

So for me, it's a total win-win  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just heard we are supposed to have lots of rain on Halloween from afternoon and all night. I will be here with candy to give... to any ghosts and goblins who brave the rain.