Valued Contributor

Re: Jury awards Erin Andrews

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

Dear Erin, Please reconsider your career choice and leave Dancing With the Stars.  Now that you are fabulously weathy, you can do it.  Let someone who has a nice speaking voice and who knows how to handle a competition take over.  Thank you.

I agree with you and Andrews leaves very litle to the imagine in her revealing dresses she wears on that show.  Never liked her on ESPN either.

Honored Contributor

I'm not going to judge if she should or shouldn't get it, but I will say I'm not surprised.

Jurists see it as 'they have the money' so they give it to the person.  I had jury duty 2 times so far, I know how people think, I heard it over and over.

Like I said, I don't know about the awarded amount.  I haven't followed it exactly.  It seems like she was humiliated.

They will probably (maybe) go back to court and it might go on for years.  Although I kind of doubt that the hotel wants the bad publicity.

Something I found out, at least in Va unlike when you win money (which is taxed heavily) money when you sue someone in Va you get all of the money and it isn't taxed.

When I see a game show and hear you won $50,000 I automatically 1/2 it and then add money to that side.  Generally it is around 26 per cent or so taxed.  Like I said, in Va she'd get to keep all of that money.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

read that the court docs discussed  TMZs role in this, even theough they "alerted" the authorities, they did not do so until after the videos were online.

according to the documents,  Barrett (the perv)  pitched a promotional type  "package" to TMZ which included several clips of the videos

TMZ did not want to buy them - but - they had copies - clips- of those videos. However, TMZ did not alert authorities until six months later and only after the videos surfaced online

of course, TMZ is off the hook because it was an "anonymous" submission

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2016/03/04/could-the-erin-andrews-video-saga-have-...

How would they have known about the videos BEFORE they went online?

read my post again.  he sent TMZ  them a promotional package with clips from the videos he filmed. it was at least 3 or 4

Esteemed Contributor

Why are they not taken off the web now?  I could not believe it when I read that the video or photos were still up.  Awful.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Good I'm glad, what was done to her was a kind of rape !!!

Um.......you MIGHT want to tap the brakes on that comparison.

As noble as it sounds, it's nothing like rape.

@sidsmom

@QVCkitty1 spoke as a metaphor, "a kind of," and she has a point.

It obviously felt like a violation to Ms. Andrews.  The video of her face and naked body has been used for prurient purposes without her permission.

As a comparison, losing a toenail is 'a kind of' like losing a leg?

No, the Andrews case is nothing like rape.

I implore one to talk to someone that has been raped or physically assaulted.  She (or he) would educate what the differences are in this case. 

Nothing, not even remotely, like rape.  

"Kind of rape" is an insult for those that have gone through the physical pain of rape & the 'kind of' physical degrees. 

I said it felt like a violation, many of the same mental reactions are there with any kind of sexual abuse or violation.

This isn't a contest about who feels the worst.

I agree. I can definitely see how people could feel this is "kind of like rape" because there are many of the same violations that happen. They actually had a rape counselor on one of the shows talking about this saying this may even be worse for Erin because of how very public this has been with so many people seeing it, her feelings of humilation and shame coming back again and again and again. 

I agree with you, also.  The humiliation is bad enough when only the victim knows.  It must be terrible for someone to know their shame is out there for everyone to see.

This kind of event should not be judged on a sliding scale, all victims should be supported.

Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

read that the court docs discussed  TMZs role in this, even theough they "alerted" the authorities, they did not do so until after the videos were online.

according to the documents,  Barrett (the perv)  pitched a promotional type  "package" to TMZ which included several clips of the videos

TMZ did not want to buy them - but - they had copies - clips- of those videos. However, TMZ did not alert authorities until six months later and only after the videos surfaced online

of course, TMZ is off the hook because it was an "anonymous" submission

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2016/03/04/could-the-erin-andrews-video-saga-have-...

How would they have known about the videos BEFORE they went online?

read my post again.  he sent TMZ  them a promotional package with clips from the videos he filmed. it was at least 3 or 4

Thanks for the clarification.

Valued Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Why are they not taken off the web now?  I could not believe it when I read that the video or photos were still up.  Awful.

You don't understand how the WorldWideWeb works

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think Marriott should have been held responsible as far as security measures. This guy went to many tricky ,underhanded, criminal lengths to get that room. He didn't just ask for the room next to her. That isn't the correct story. Where Marriott went wrong was in their lawyers. Going after her in whether or not she benefited from the scandal was wrong. They wanted it imply she mad money from it. Who's to say she was turned down jobs because of it. Add in the video being played in a restaurant by a Marriott big wig. In hindsight they should have settled. What extra measures do people think they will add in security? IMO this won't change anything. It was one in a million fluke situation.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I'm not going to judge if she should or shouldn't get it, but I will say I'm not surprised.

Jurists see it as 'they have the money' so they give it to the person.  I had jury duty 2 times so far, I know how people think, I heard it over and over.

Like I said, I don't know about the awarded amount.  I haven't followed it exactly.  It seems like she was humiliated.

They will probably (maybe) go back to court and it might go on for years.  Although I kind of doubt that the hotel wants the bad publicity.

Something I found out, at least in Va unlike when you win money (which is taxed heavily) money when you sue someone in Va you get all of the money and it isn't taxed.

When I see a game show and hear you won $50,000 I automatically 1/2 it and then add money to that side.  Generally it is around 26 per cent or so taxed.  Like I said, in Va she'd get to keep all of that money.

Most states P.I. lawsuits aren't taxed. I had a coworker here that got hurt in a car accident by a city plow. She won a substantial amount and wasn't taxed on it, just the interest. I know personal injury lawsuits are not taxable but non personal injury lawsuits can be taxed depending on the situation.

http://taxation.lawyers.com/tax-consequences-of-a-legal-settlement.html

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@BettyNewbie wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

You don't understand how the WorldWideWeb works

Right.  There are copies of copies, it goes on and on.  Probably thousands of copies were made soon after release, and anyone can copy those.