Honored Contributor

Information Hoarding Society

we live now in a society that values information to a hoarding extent.

For "team players" to work together, there needs to be sharing... of goals, of weaknesses, of strengths. And entities such as schools or corporations have proclaimed that we will work together in teams in order to be successful in meeting goals designed to benefit the organization.

In teaching, teachers were supposed to meet and cooperatively share lesson ideas, etc.

No this idea didn't work.

Information which would lead to the success of other teachers? Why would anyone want to give away that valuable stuff?  Perhaps the giver would be so helpful that the other teacher would in turn be promoted, thereby leading teacher #2 to possibly lose their job.

Look at cases in which high school students are to present a group project. One student in the group always does the work.  The endeavor does not lead to increased self-esteem for all members.

(What was the goal of this type of assignment?)

By hoarding information as if it were gold, we yield to the philosophy "information is power."

Scientists know that knowledge shared increases the likelihood of cures for the benefit of humanity, etc.

What a powerful tool this is to share.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Information Hoarding Society

I actually got "points removed" on my job review...........because I declined to join my co-workers on a tubing trip down the Salt River.    In my defense, I am a senior citizen with lots of stainless steel plates, nuts and bolts.    My employer took "teamwork"  WAY too far.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I actually got "points removed" on my job review...........because I declined to join my co-workers on a tubing trip down the Salt River.    In my defense, I am a senior citizen with lots of stainless steel plates, nuts and bolts.    My employer took "teamwork"  WAY too far.

un.freakin.believable.

Honestly, there ought to be a law.

Honored Contributor

Being a team player is so important in so many aspects of life. It is important for so many reasons.

But it is hard to be part of a team and watch others take credit for your ideas and work. I guess one just has to have enough experience and age to know when to stand up and make sure they get the credit they deserve, and when to just let the 'team' take the glory. 

Trusted Contributor

Teamwork is good however I have seen the "abuse" of the "team approach" while in the Military AND in my civilian job. A few of us always busted our back ends putting up the field hospital (MASH) while the majority repeatedly sat and drank beer, joked and yet benefited (took credit even) from the work of the few. Yea I got tired of being part of the small group of dependalble "doers" called upon in our unit and when multiple discussions of such resulted in no success or change,.....  when it was time to re-up or end my time.............well it was a shocking event to others when I dumped all my uniforms and gear onto the floor and told them to basically "shove it" and bye bye. Same happened in my civilian job when calling me on my time off was abused. I learned not to answer the phone. (Was to do something the others didnt bother to learn) Teamwork works ONLY when those in the team ALL contribute...not just a few. I never "hoarded" my knowledge but found that there are some who dont want to become teachable if you will do the work. I guess teamwork only works when all are willing to do and share in the knowledge (also remain teachable) to attain any goal/mission.  

Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl@Mominohio@Desertdi

These stories are so indicative of exactly what I was trying to point out.

Can't decide if individual egos are the cause (selfish) or "teamwork" is not taught or presented properly. 

Either way, the end result shows up in adult society.

Either way, value for a fulfilling purposeful job (leading possibly to a career) are so often passed up.

It seems to me that opportunity for growth into a meaningful life is also passed up by so many.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

In order to prevent one student from doing everything, we used to require each student in the cooperative group to meet with one of us (teacher) twice. Once, halfway through the assignment to see if they are on the right track, then once before the group presentation to see if any suggestions were taken. Then, each group member graded the others on cooperation, participation in research and group discussions, and getting work done on time. This helps us grade the group as well as individual students, and let each student know that their work ethic wouldn't affect the group grade, just theirs! We rarely had any slackers!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Being a team player is so important in so many aspects of life. It is important for so many reasons.

But it is hard to be part of a team and watch others take credit for your ideas and work. I guess one just has to have enough experience and age to know when to stand up and make sure they get the credit they deserve, and when to just let the 'team' take the glory. 

Many years ago I had a job selling on commission over the holidays. I needed the money and am a good employee. There were times when our department got very busy. We would work as a team then, one at register, one folding and bagging, and one working the floor. The cashier worked it so that we each ended the day with about the same amount of sales. One night it was very slow. Only a teenager and I were on. I worked the floor, rang, and folded while she talked to her boyfriend on the phone! I told her if she didn't help I wasn't going to split the sales. She looked at me, turned her back and kept talking. So, the few sales I made went under my number. I found out that she told the other girls I cheated her out of sales while she was cleaning out the dressing rooms! Due to her talent for quick tears she got everyone's sympathy! I was happy to leave after the holidays even though I was asked to stay! Team work ain't always what it's cracked up to be!

Respected Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

Teamwork is good however I have seen the "abuse" of the "team approach" while in the Military AND in my civilian job. A few of us always busted our back ends putting up the field hospital (MASH) while the majority repeatedly sat and drank beer, joked and yet benefited (took credit even) from the work of the few. Yea I got tired of being part of the small group of dependalble "doers" called upon in our unit and when multiple discussions of such resulted in no success or change,.....  when it was time to re-up or end my time.............well it was a shocking event to others when I dumped all my uniforms and gear onto the floor and told them to basically "shove it" and bye bye. Same happened in my civilian job when calling me on my time off was abused. I learned not to answer the phone. (Was to do something the others didnt bother to learn) Teamwork works ONLY when those in the team ALL contribute...not just a few. I never "hoarded" my knowledge but found that there are some who dont want to become teachable if you will do the work. I guess teamwork only works when all are willing to do and share in the knowledge (also remain teachable) to attain any goal/mission.  

I tried to explain that to my dh. He always picked up the slack when the other guy was off "partying" when he needed to be working. I told my dh that if he didn't cover for the guy he'd be found out! But, my dedicated man said the work needed to be done so he did it! The guy never was exposed!

Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

ABSOLUTELY!

When one is consistently in situations where one or two people do all the work (whatever it is, physical or mental), "sharing" is pointless. You can "share" how to do something, *know* that others *know* how to do it, and they still will not do it. All you've done is frustrated yourself.

You can "share" whatever all you like, but you can't force people to be team players. And sharing only works when THE WORK is shared, not just the knowledge.

I'm not that altruistic after a lifetime of being one of the workers while others sat around avoiding work.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all