Honored Contributor

Re: I used to love Kohls - now not so much

I've went twice in my life, two different Kohls in two different states, and wasn't impressed at all. I saw nothing that interested me. I didn't understand the appeal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kohl's doesn't just offer discounts to customers using a Kohl's card.  At least a few times a year (probably more now) they do a 20% off coupon for any method of payment - even cash.  You just have to pay attention to what the coupon says and not assume it's only for Kohl's card holders.

Shipping is always free for a minimum purchase of $75 and sometimes they do a "no minimum" (even for non-MVC customers).

It is what it is.  Every retailer does whatever it can to bring in customers.  And Kohl's return policy is as good as LL Bean's.  Any time, any reason, no questions asked.  I would never abuse a policy like that, but I appreciate that it's there so I have the confidence to buy something and know I won't lose out, if I just don't like it or it's defective.

(And their Rewards card applies whatever method of payment you use.)

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Don't they realize that Kohl's just marks their things up to totally unrealistic prices just so they can mark it down and make people think they got a deal.? 

Do you believe everyone is so dumb they don't comparison shop? Why on earth would anyone NOT buy at the best price with the best terms? 

If Kohl's has a 30% off sale and I have Kohl's Cash as well, so that my item cost is $100 at Kohl's, $120 at Wal-Mart, $130 at Target and $90 at Amazon (but has to be shipped), how am I being dumb or ripped off for buying at Kohl's?

You've got things mixed up - the tactics you describe are QVC's tactics.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@maryebrown wrote:
If I go in there, twice a year, that is about my limit ! I used to LOVE my local store but now? NO! And, they keep pushing their CC...NO to that too! The cashiers are pushy...and the salespeople on the floor are beyond obnoxious.

Um...there is nothing for cashiers to be "pushy" ABOUT. They're too busy just ringing people up at the register to do or care about anything else. Asking you if you want to open a charge account? Name a store that *doesn't* do that.

Salespeople on the floor? There pretty much are none of those to BE obnoxious - again, just like Penneys, Sears and similar retailers, they almost don't HAVE salespeople on the floor.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I shop at Kohl's whenever I receive a 30% off coupon. I usually buy my major manufacturer lingerie there and my kitchen towels and washcloths (their Sonoma brand).

I prefer Macy's for sheets and blankets and JCPenney for bathroom towels.

I dislike the Kohl's cash and the new rewards program they have now set up (optional to belong to).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Finally, FINALLY I'm seeing others feel the same way I've always felt about Kohl's! I thought I was the only one that really didn't like that store. Besides some of the name brands their clothing is junk. Cheap junk. I only shop there when they have a coupon. I'll use their Kohl's kash when I can. I just never see anything I like enough to buy from Kohl's. Their constant different sales are just mind games with their customers. But I'm an avid receipt keeper. I'm not about to get jipped if I want to return something.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I only shop at Kohls when I get their 30% coupon and I only buy things like underwear, socks.  I get my sunglasses there too when their on sale and get 30% off, things like that.  I never buy clothes there.  Once I got a Shark vacuum on sale and with my 30% off coupon I got it at a steal.  Kohls is good for some things.  Those Kohls cash coupons that I get have always had an expiration date on them but I only get them when I've just been there and I don't shop there enough to use them.   The store, in general, has really gone down hill in the last few years but then again, so has many stores.  The quality in the material in some of the clothes is just terrible.

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield  I am glad you mentioned their socks.  Their Sonoma cotton socks are the best - I do use those just about every day.  They wash and dry greatk, fit great and are very comfortable to wear.  They are usually on sale with some percentage off, and I stock up on colors or more whites and blacks sometimes when I have a 30% off coupon. They are always available so I wait for that and get extra pairs or colors.  Great socks at a great price!

I also like Kohl's and Target for basics that I wear underneath other things, i.e. turtlenecks, tank tops, scoop necks.  I used to buy denim and co. things for that purpose but then one day woke up and thought I was foolish - I may as well get them for 5 or 6 bucks a piece on sale and with coupons at Kohl's or Target, wear them a few seasons, and then replace the black or white ones which look shabby or faded out (black) after several years.  And then not pay S&H or the price of D&C.  So I wear that kind of clothing underneath other clothes such as sweaters and find them very useful.  

Except for those kinds of things - and underwear  or possibly P.J.s as mentioned - I would not buy clothes there.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maryebrown wrote:
If I go in there, twice a year, that is about my limit ! I used to LOVE my local store but now? NO! And, they keep pushing their CC...NO to that too! The cashiers are pushy...and the salespeople on the floor are beyond obnoxious.

I went twice and had the SAME experience with the PUSHY cashiers and the OBNOXIOUS salespeople. Most of the clothing looks like it's made from INFERIOR, CHEAP material. As another poster said, Kohl's DOES play GAMES with the pricing.

Honored Contributor

I'm amazed at some comments about "pushy" or "obnoxious" staff.  We have three Kohl's in my area and not one has this problem.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  (A quick completion of the survey you always get would sort that problem out.  They get penalized for bad reviews.)

I also don't have the problem of materials being of "cheap" quality or construction.  I have items I bought several years ago and they've held up very well.

There is one item I will no longer buy:  Croft and Barrow 100% cotton tees.  I found they would always shrink in length and I don't like them as short as they'd end up.  Having said that, it's a simple matter to return them for a refund and I always told them why.

I love the Sonoma LifeStyle range; also, Vera Wang.

And I got a terrific deal on the Shark Rotator vacuum and I love it.  I did comparison shop and couldn't get a better deal anywhere.

Clearly, there seems to be some regional differences amongst the stores.  I like ours.