Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 - I recently got pictures of an Eagle pair near where I live. Even though I see eagles frequently, they still take my breath away. 

Honored Contributor

@riley1  Me too.I always cheer when I see an eagle or an osprey get a fish, as they dive a couple dozen times before they get one. We currently have some young eagles fishing here as well as their parents. No white heads yet, and they are alone, not in pairs. It's amazing how several birds of prey may be fishing the same lake at the same time but never seem to bother each other.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@pupwhipped wrote:

I bet that was neat! Never knew they could fly, either. You usually just see the standing around on one leg. LOL!

Saw road runners at my MIL's house several times in years past. Silly me, I thought that bird was just a funny character in the Looney Tunes cartoons. Ya know:

"Road Runner, Coyote's after you.

Road Runner, if he catches you you're through." 

Who knew he's a real bird? Beep Beep! 

@pupwhipped.  I see roadrunners around my neighborhood all time.  They lose their appeal when you see a baby bird hanging out of their mouth.  They are carniverous.

Ewwwww! That's certainly not good to hear. Ha! But, I guess we all gotta eat. Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

Re: I saw a flamingo ...

[ Edited ]

I live on the coast and am also an avid osprey watcher when they are here to breed. Seeing the first osprey of the season is a thrill.

One day I was driving to work near some water, when suddenly an osprey came out of nowhere and almost flew into my windshield. I think it dropped a fish and swooped down to retrieve it before realizing all these moving vehicles were there. I was able to brake and thankfully he was not hurt - but for that split second, he was inches from me, wings fully spread and flapping wildly to get up to safety. I could see his talons clutched in close to his belly. I kept breathing sighs of relief all the way to work. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 - An Eagle will steal a fish from an Osprey if he can. We have one that sits on the end of a branch and when he sees the osprey go by with a fish it's game on! I guess he thinks it's easier to steal it than fish for it.

Honored Contributor

I was watching a nest in Pittsburgh on my computer and the eagle turned up with a sandwich in a baggie. He pecked at it a little to get it out of the plastic then finally used his talons to rip it open and fed himself and his babies. It turned out later someone said he had a roast beef sandwich sitting on a bench and he was watching the nest with binoculars during his lunch break when the other eagle swooped down and ripped off his sandwich. He said he jumped up and ran when he saw that big bird coming at him with his talons spread.

Honored Contributor

@riley1.  What a thrill it must be to be able to photograph them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment