Honored Contributor

Re: I'm about to drop Spectrum

@SilleeMee wrote:

Around here just the high-speed internet service needed for streaming cost over half of what I pay for my Directv satellite. Then add the cost of all the streaming subscriptions to that, plus the cost of an additional dvr...well it all adds up to about the same for me. 

I was listening to a media analyst a few weeks ago and he was saying to expect more streaming consolidation.  The streaming companies have been raising prices but still are having problems because people drop their service as soon as they raise their price so they will most likely continue to have to raise their prices.  It's like many other new services/products--they start out with several companies in competition, then start buying each other out and you end up with just a few to choose from with similar pricing structures.

This guy also said to continue to expect contract negotiations to interrupt service.  He doesn't see it getting any better.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Goodie2shoes We gave it up after 25 yrs. and changed to Direct TV. It took me awhile to get used to streaming and how to find the channels, record, etc., but now our bill is also over $200 less. 

@Shanus Do you mean you have DirecTV streaming versus DTV sattelite set top box?

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@Venezia Channel surfing: Using the "last" or "back" button on the tv remote to toggle between 2 shows. Such as watching 2 football games that are being shown at the same time and during a time out toggle over to another game to check in. 

We like being able to channel to toggle between channels. Being new to youtube tv we have not discovered this option. 

@granddi you can't do that with YoutubeTV.  I really miss being able to do it.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@Venezia Channel surfing: Using the "last" or "back" button on the tv remote to toggle between 2 shows. Such as watching 2 football games that are being shown at the same time and during a time out toggle over to another game to check in. 

We like being able to channel to toggle between channels. Being new to youtube tv we have not discovered this option. 

@granddi you can't do that with YoutubeTV.  I really miss being able to do it.

I have YouTube TV and if you click down on the arrow keys/wheel you get an option for "TV Networks" at the bottom and another click shows you everything else available. If you click on the second channel you want to watch, those two channels, the first and second should then be just a click or two away on the remote. It's a little clunkier than need be, but it works.

There's also a "Multiview" option that shows four screens at once. At this moment it has the Colorado/Nebraska, Notre Dame/NC State, Utah/Baylor, and Vandy/Wake Forest.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus   I have two good friends who have Direct TV.  They are always complaint about their bill.   DTV raises its prices every year just like cable companies do.  I don't see much difference in any of them when it co,es to raising prices.  I am stuck with Spectrum because our HOA negotiated a 10 year contract with them.  We now get cable, plus HBO/Max, internet and no charge for two modems and DVR.  Of course our fees went up but it still ended by being a $90 a month savings after factoring in the increase in HOA fee.     DTV does require a 2 year contract so if your planning to move into an area that does t have DTV you are kinda stuck.  

i know some people have gotten rid of cable abd got an Amazon Firestick or Roku so they can stream abd even get some local channels

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@Shanus   DIRECT TV is satellite.  AT&T bought Direct TV

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/dish-ceo-believes-merger-with-directv-possible-after-political-electio....

Direct TV is also streamable now.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   Yes, it's Direct TV streaming. There's no sattelite, no dish, a tiny box w/ 2 lights under the TV. We paisd extra to get Discovery+ and MAX is free this month, but won't keep it. I have too many series started on Netflix and Apple+....

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus   thanks.   I didn't know that.   

Honored Contributor

We are actually on our way today to possibly switch to AT&T for their new fiber internet at $55 a month. You can get it cheaper if you have a wireless plan with them for $35. They are only in the Southeast for now, but someone to keep your eye on if they come your way. We are OVER Comcast/Xfinity big time. 

The only channel I subscribe to is Paramount Plus. That cost me $25 for the year on a Black Friday special. I think regular price is now $60 a year. Those specials are coming again so watch for them soon.

We also have YouTube tv which I could take or leave as I'm not a huge tv person anymore. No issues other than nitpicks. They are a solid choice if you like multiple channels on one provider.

However, I do find it only works well on my tablet which I am fine with since that's how I watch most things these days. My smart tv it tends to buffer and not handle the app well. That's probably a Comcast thing which is why we're saying goodbye, but worth a mention in case you have a low internet speed/data plan.