Honored Contributor

Re: I'm about to drop Spectrum

I have a home phone but it's not a land line. It's an internet phone using OOMA. Free service, just pay one time for their phone box and then after that you only pay FCC tax which for me is only $7/mo. Keep your old number, too.

Respected Contributor

We're very happy with YouTube tv. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Look at this mess:

Comcast and Disney have moved up the date to start their contractually obligated negotiations for the sale of Hulu, the streaming service they jointly own.

And then this:

Aug 17, 2023 · Reddit. Analyst Dan Ives says that sports channel ESPN is the "perfect fit" for Apple TV+, and predicts Apple will acquire the station in the next six to nine months.

Or This

Barrons.com

Charter CEO Says a Permanent Split with ESPN Might Be a Good Outcome

I hope it is settled within our 21 day YouTubeTV trial!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I don't know if it's the same but where I live, Spectrums internet alone is $89.99.  Last time I checked was a little over a month ago.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is what we did with Ooma too, @SilleeMee . 

We ported our old phone number with them since we've had it for years, and most places we do business with have it so we kept it for that reason.

Also, between our Internet and home phone fees with AT&T our fees were getting to be pretty expensive. That was one of the deciding factors for us to change Internet service.

Our Internet with Verizon 5G is probably an introductory price but it's less expensive now.

With Ooma for your phone service, you pay for the device, and then you can pay upfront for the yearly service with just a one-time fee once a year if you want to do it that way.

Basically what that costs with Ooma is what AT&T was almost costing us for one month of service alone.

Then like @SilleeMee  was saying in her post, you pay a small fee for taxes every month with Ooma.

With AT&T we also had Internet phone service, but it was DSL Internet phone. You could use it with an ethernet cable.

With Ooma, it's completely wireless now.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dropped Spectrum a few months ago for tv. Had it also for over 20 years.   Went to apps and mostly use U-Tube tv.  Its ok but I have to admit I still miss having a tv guide.  Have not mastered controller for each tv but getting better.  Starting to change internet but that's going to be a huge thing as we need new email provider.  Any suggestions on those?

Trusted Contributor

Hi @Twins Mom ,

If you already have a free e-mail provider that you're using for your e-mails, you should be able to keep it regardless of what Internet service provider you're already using/going to be using.

If you're not using a free e-mail provider, there are quite a few of them out there to use. Some of the common ones are: gmail, hotmail, yahoo, and aol. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi - I'm not sure what you mean by channel surfing with streaming services?  We have YouTubeTV and it has a channel guide, just as our old DirecTV did.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how we'd know what was coming on or how to select programs we want to record.

We had lousy internet service in our area for over 19 years (2.5 mbps - no that's not a typo).  When we were finally able to get Spectrum we were over the moon.

We now have Spectrum for our internet (300+ mbps) and our phone (VOIP) and with our streaming service (we don't have Spectrum for TV; too expensive for what you get), we pay at least $100 a month less that what we used to pay for internet, tv and phone combined.

And all with a far superior service in all respects.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We finally got rid of Dish plus the over $130 monthly bill.

We have been streaming for almost 2 years.

We started out with YouTube so we could get our local channels but it's almost like Dish.

I don't want to pay for local channels when they are free?DH installed an antenna so we got rid of YouTube.

Right now we have HULU, Paramount+ & Peacock. The prices I paid for these comes out to about $14 per month for our streaming TV. 

We also stream Tubi, Freevee, Pluto, Roku plus a few more for free. They installed Fiber Optics here so we finally were able to get rid of our internet with the cable company for around $130. Now paying $55 per month.

Valued Contributor

l just dropped Spectrum cable , bill was $220 a month for basic cable tv and internet .With just the internet it is now $90 a month . l use streaming have Hulu with disney + for $10 . peacock for $6 , and discovery for $5 . l also get Prime with my Amazon prime account . A lot cheaper than the $130 cable was costing . When l called to cancel that service , l was directed to a "retention " agent . l was put on hold for 1 hour and 23 minutes !!  l got a new smart tv and streaming is so much easier than using the roqu or fire stick .