Valued Contributor

Re: I'm about to drop Spectrum

[ Edited ]

If you're HONESTLY interested in cutting the cord it's best to research the topic thoroughly. Google "cutting the cord" and you'll find all the information you need to make a decision that suits you and your lifestyle.

I cut the cord years ago and have not regretted my decision. I pay $65.00 a month for FIOS Internet only, Netflix, Apple TV, Prime, plus100s of channels Roku provides for free. I use a Tracfone so no cellphone bill and no land-line.

Keep in mind that if you want a guide similar to cable TV (i.e. YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, etc.) it will cost more than true streaming.

I hope this helps someone. 🙂

Respected Contributor

@ judianne  wrote: l just dropped Spectrum cable , bill was $220 a month for basic cable tv and internet .With just the internet it is now $90 a month . l use streaming have Hulu with disney + for $10 . peacock for $6 , and discovery for $5 . l also get Prime with my Amazon prime account . A lot cheaper than the $130 cable was costing . When l called to cancel that service , l was directed to a "retention " agent . l was put on hold for 1 hour and 23 minutes !! l got a new smart tv and streaming is so much easier than using the roqu or fire stick . 

I have a Roku stick on 2 smart TV's and stream Spectrum and have occasional "buffering" which is problematic. I assume thats a internet issue? I spoke with the retention dept who lowered my bill but it's still ridiculous. I'm leaning towards Hulu and I also have Amazon prime. Thanks 

Trusted Contributor

I use SlingTV ($40) and the only add on I have is HULU ($1.99/month for 1 year) Still have to pay Spectrum for Internet into the house ($80)  I switched when Spectrum was to raise my rate to $185 a few years ago.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We had Spectrum for years with phone and internet included.  You used to be able to negotiate a new cost for the plan alter threatening to leave.  Now they just respond with an "ok...we will canel your service".  It got absurdly expensive with the increases. and became clear that after they were acquired by a new company that there was no more bargaining on the accelerating prices.

We left Spectrum ....many in our neighborhood did the same. Best decision...there is no competition to keep rates reasonable.  

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes We gave it up after 25 yrs. and changed to Direct TV. It took me awhile to get used to streaming and how to find the channels, record, etc., but now our bill is also over $200 less. 

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine   If I understand it correctly, probably not, our Direct TV is not satellite...it's ATT related.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Ours was a satellite so every snow storm or hard rain it went out.  Prices were crazy.  Very happy with YouTube TV and glad you are saving and liking Direct.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia Channel surfing: Using the "last" or "back" button on the tv remote to toggle between 2 shows. Such as watching 2 football games that are being shown at the same time and during a time out toggle over to another game to check in. 

We like being able to channel to toggle between channels. Being new to youtube tv we have not discovered this option. 

Super Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

We use YouTube TV and love it.  We have almost everything they offer and it costs us $78 a month.  It has been extremely reliable unlike Direct TV satellite.

Same for me.  I can't imagine going back to cable

Honored Contributor

@granddi - Thanks for the explanation.  I'm not sure if I can do that with YouTubeTV - I'll have to check it out!  I did sometimes use it, when we had DirecTV through cable.

I do know with our Samsung TV we can have it split with more than one channel on the screen (box in box?  Or something like that).  But we never use it, so I'm not sure if that's of any use.