Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Prepared For Snowstorm, Earthquake, Zombie Appocolypse......Whatever

@Melania, I completely empathize  with you! The best thing about first responders is they practice safety first, are usually with another responder, and have lots of experience knowing what NOT to do. They are equipped for bear! And to know that they are saving lives? Nothing better than that.

Prayers going out for all the first responders who are on the job right now, putting their lives as risk to save others. God bless them all! HeartHeartHeart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Ms. Plaid,

If I may... what is "poo powder"?

Woman LOL

poo powder.html

• SAFE. Non-toxic Poo Powder used to extend the uses of the GO anywhere toilet kit.
  • ECONOMICAL. Make your own waste bags.
  • SANITARY. Prevents backsplash and turns liquid waste to solid in seconds.
  • EASY. Each dispensing scoop (included) treats up to 21 ounces of liquid waste.
  • STABLE. Waste treatment powder has an indefinite shelf life.

Do I have this right...

You use it WITH the go anywhere toilet and it solidifies the, er, waste for easy burial or whatever?

You use the powder in conjunction with the portable toilet 

41O9UaiOc2L._AC_UL320_SR244,320_.jpg

You put these bags inside the toilet

51ngX-kb9YL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

and when you are done, you sprinkle the poo powder on top to makes for less mess.

bz-panel-11-29-14.jpg (432×514)

;-)

No offense, PlaidPants2.

Valued Contributor

I hear ya, @Melania.  Both myself & my dh are both in the medical field & first responder field, and when one of us is off work during a crisis, the other isn't.  I have been home with young children during hurricanes, while dh is off saving the world & risking his life for dummies who take foolish risks with their lives, endangering everyone who has to try to save those people.  Cranky is the right word, but we're proud of them for being so great, too.  Good luck w/the storm, & blessings to your loved ones who risk so much to help others!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

Noel7 wrote:

Plaid,

Serenity is correct, styptic powder or a styptic stick is necessary in the home, imo.

It stops minor bleeding.  Men use it if they cut themselves shaving.

I used it once on my cat when DH cut her nail too short and it started bleeding.  It's works immediately.

I have something like that for the bird.  It's not called styptic ,but I bet it's the same thing.    

I had the opportunity to see it at work when the lady from whom we kind of rescued him (some 13 years ago) was showing me how to cut his nails.  Wouldn't ya know it, she cut one too far.  (ow, poor baby!)    It's a handy thing to have for probably everybody in the family.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Where do you live?  None of my neighbors who mostly work for Microsoft and Amazon with a couple of doctors thrown in could "rustle up a deer". 

Honored Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

Nice list and a few questions.  Is your shed strong enough to withstand tornado - major weather disaster - etc?  Can you fit all of this in your vehicle quickly should you need to bug out?  Are the disposable masks a higher grade than just the basic paper like ones? I noticed you had batteries on the list but didn't see any steel wool.  You can start a fire very quickly with a piece of steel wool and a 9V battery - something good to have if no other sources work or are available.  How far is the shed from the house - available to thieves or wandering zombies?   You have obviously put a lot of thought into this. 

@scotnovel

Great questions! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Plaid,

Serenity is correct, styptic powder or a styptic stick is necessary in the home, imo.

I used it once on my cat when DH cut her nail too short and it started bleeding.  It's works immediately.

I have something like that for the bird.  It's not called styptic ,but I bet it's the same thing.    

I had the opportunity to see it at work when the lady from whom we kind of rescued him (some 13 years ago) was showing me how to cut his nails.  Wouldn't ya know it, she cut one too far.  (ow, poor baby!)    It's a handy thing to have for probably everybody in the family.  Smiley Happy

Is it "Kwik Stop', chicky?

That's a long-time classic basic for pet parents to keep around.

It's also helpful for accidents when trimming doggie nails and kitty claws.

Plus, as you said, we hoomins can use it in case we have a boo-boo from a dull razor , or other stuff.  Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

Here is an important How-To guide on how to flush a toilet when you are without water pressure or electricity, depending on your needs.  For example, we are on well water, so when we are out of electricity, we cannot flush.  It ain't pretty!

I suggest you print this page out & keep it in your emergency handbook, or with your E-papers:

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-skills/how-to-flush-a-toilet-without-running-water/

Oh...and I also suggest you have a big zip-lock bag & assign one to each person for their used toilet tissue, telling them all these tips *BEFORE* the power goes out.  Tell them all to avoid flushing the commode that first time, until there is a real (stinky) need, if you catch my drift.  You will have only *1* flush after the power goes out, if your plumbing is affected by electricity.  A bottle of hand sanitzer should be in each bathroom, & if you have more than one bathroom, seriously consider assigning the one furthest away from all living areas & bedrooms as the 'stinky' bathroom, where the door can be kept shut and you all can breathe easier.  Tell everyone to only do their stinky bit in that one bathroom, not the others.  It won't be pleasant in there, & soon it won't be pleasant anywhere in the house.  

You'll want industrial strength garbage bags for the waste ziplock baggies.  You'll want those disposable rubber dishwashing/cleaning gloves.  You'll really, really need those if you let everyone put their used toilet paper in the commode, instead of in ziplock bags assigned to them...because before you will be able to flush, you'll have to fish all that crud out of the toilet.  Thinking ahead is very important!  After a week without power or plumbing, I was saying prayers of thanks to Thomas Crapper for inventing this wonderful device called the toilet!

You'll also want a flashlight in each bathroom that can be placed on a counter & doesn't have to be held, since we need both hands in the bathroom for most duties.  Pun intended.  Hopefully these tips will make a very unpleasant necessity for all of us a little more bearable during an emergency.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

feline groovy wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Noel7 wrote:

Plaid,

Plus, as you said, we hoomins can use it in case we have a boo-boo from a dull razor , or other stuff.  Woman Happy

Thanks for responding and, yes, that's it.  But the biggest thing is that I had to go get it to see what it was called and I noticed that it is massively expired.  (bad birdie/puppy mom!!)   Will replace it ASAP.  

I have had it stored in a Lock & Lock all this time but I think I will still assume that it's not fit for use as it is embarrassingly old.

*chicky hangs head in shame*

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Plaid,

Thanks for responding and, yes, that's it.  But the biggest thing is that I had to go get it to see what it was called and I noticed that it is massively expired.  (bad birdie/puppy mom!!)   Will replace it ASAP.  

I have had it stored in a Lock & Lock all this time but I think I will still assume that it's not fit for use as it is embarrassingly old.

@chickenbutt wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Plaid,

(((chicky)))

It happens to the best of parents - which you ARE.  Heart

You & DH were meant to parent your birdie & puppy.  8)

Hey, Lock 'n Lock is good stuff, but it ain't that good, LOL.

Now pick your head up, friend!  Smiley Happy