Honored Contributor

Re: I found my perfect apple!

The skin of an apple has many nutrients and should not be peeled away. However, if your apples are not certified organic and you don't want to eat pesticides then just peel them. The flesh usually does not contain the pesticides.

Honored Contributor

I like Honeycrisp and Pink Lady but last year a discovered a new (to me) apple that I love.  It called an Opal apple and the skin is yellow.  

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I like Honeycrisp and Pink Lady but last year a discovered a new (to me) apple that I love.  It called an Opal apple and the skin is yellow.  

Love Pink Lady! Usually people "crave" junk foods, but often I just really have to go to the market and get some apples. I think it's b/c I'm actually thirsty.

Also, I've noticed with Fujis sometimes, they are beautiful and firm on the outside, and on the inside a light brown ring around the core. Has anybody seen this or know what it is?

Honored Contributor

It depends on the season.  In general I like any apple as long as it's firm.  There's nothing worse than a mealy or mushy apple.

Honored Contributor

I like Fujis too and I also have tried Ambrosia at a farmer's market but they were priced higher than all the others. i also wonder why as another poster indicated why that is so. Perhaps few fruit per tree?

Peanut butter on a crisp apple is the best - worse are any mealy apple.

Honored Contributor

Braeburn and Honey Crisp.   I like Jonagolds too!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

@rustee I've never seen a Macoun that I am aware of, but if I ever run across them I will give them a try!

It's been a long time since I've had a Macoun (since I lived up north, I think) but I remember liking them a lot.  I do think if you like Fujis you might like Macouns.

@QueenDanceALot & @Caligurll

The grocery stores in my area of Massachusetts do not sell them on a regular basis. I always look for them and grab them when I run across them.

Honored Contributor

I like most apples,except mac's,and most apples that are grown here in northeast are those.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Apples

Better-half found a similar slicer/corer; he puts the apple back together and wraps a thick produce rubber band around it, then puts it in a sealed plastic bag.  I can take an apple to work, sliced, and the slices don't turn brown. Woman Happy

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Pink Lady and honey crisp for eating. I like a soft apple for baking. I have never heard of many of these hybrids. Will have to hunt for some of them.