Respected Contributor

Re: I am obviously a cold-hearted witch...

@SahmIam wrote:

because I find it very difficult to feel bad for those who allow their dogs or cats out to run around (while the human stays indoors) for... whatever reason and then are pleading with people to help them find their animal.

I FEEL for the poor animal but not the human. 

Yes, that situation is currently happening in my community.

I think the pet owners are the cold-hearted ones.  You obviously have a warm, loving heart.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We have a crazy cat lady in the neighborhood that feeds the strays and those that are allowed out to roam.

My cat is indoor only and if any of them happen to sashay across the lawn or the driveway mine will go BSC to the point that I cannot open the front windows anymore.  She must be able to smell them invading her territory.

One day one of the strays flung themself into the storm door, sending mine into a frenzy - she found me two rooms away and went ballistic - scratched me and it got infected...  

If there were a way for me to trap them and take them over to the shelter I would.

@CelticCrafter

Is your cat neutered?  

That behavior from both cats are indications of un-neutered animals.

(i.e. Why the outside cat wanted inside so badly)

@sidsmom She is - as far as those out roaming, I don't know and I'm not getting close enough to find out!

@Mz iMac & @Buck-i-Nana I'm going to look for the Feliway when I'm out.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We have a crazy cat lady in the neighborhood that feeds the strays and those that are allowed out to roam.

My cat is indoor only and if any of them happen to sashay across the lawn or the driveway mine will go BSC to the point that I cannot open the front windows anymore.  She must be able to smell them invading her territory.

One day one of the strays flung themself into the storm door, sending mine into a frenzy - she found me two rooms away and went ballistic - scratched me and it got infected...  

If there were a way for me to trap them and take them over to the shelter I would.

@CelticCrafter

Is your cat neutered?  

The cat I had who attacked me was a neutered cat.  The attacks were violent.

He had what my vet thought was feral tendencies.  Had nothing to do with neutering. 

The cats outside were just there.  They had no interest in coming inside my house.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter

Is your cat neutered?  

@sidsmom She is - as far as those out roaming, I don't know and I'm not getting close enough to find out!

You did not address me, but as I have been the recipient of violent cat attacks (which I posted about) I must say one more time to be VERY VERY CAREFUL.

I tried the Feliway.  It did not take care of the problem.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter

Is your cat neutered?  

He had what my vet thought was feral tendencies.  Had nothing to do with neutering. 

The cats outside were just there.  They had no interest in coming inside my house.

The neuter question is just a first line of questioning.

Many don't realize the difference it makes in an animal.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter

Is your cat neutered?  

The neuter question is just a first line of questioning.

Many don't realize the difference it makes in an animal.

Okay.

Well, while you're questioning I am putting up a red flag of caution.

This kind of behavior is very dangerous.  I've had cats my entire life and NEVER had one that behaved like the one who started to attack me when he saw other animals outside.

Honored Contributor

I have neighbors that let their dog run loose.  I have a 75 pound shelter dog that has a fenced yard and is either in the backyard or on a leash when in front.  The neighbor's very expensive purebred Vizsla got hit by a car last month and I have no sympathy.  I have been picking up dog poop for two years (they do have a fenced backyard but they let it run for exercise).  

Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"I am obviously a cold-hearted witch..."

because I find it very difficult to feel bad for those who do not leave during MANDATORY evacuations especially if they are injured or found dead after a catastrophic moment.

@Mz iMac

Your post reminds me of the Magic Marker Strategy (article from 2012): 

In the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, emergency management officials trying to persuade coastal residents to leave their homes as hurricanes approach give reluctant homeowners a magic marker.

Then they ask them to write their Social Security numbers on a body part so that rescue workers will be able to identify them when their body is found.

According to officials in that part of the world, the strategy helps convince disinclined homeowners to get out...

http://www.journalpatriot.com/opinion/tougher-penalties-set-for-evacuation-order-scofflaws/article_f...

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter

Is your cat neutered?  

You did not address me, but as I have been the recipient of violent cat attacks (which I posted about) I must say one more time to be VERY VERY CAREFUL.

I tried the Feliway.  It did not take care of the problem.

I'm sorry @QueenDanceALot - didn't mean to snub you.  I am careful when she gets like that, I've learned to just stay put, not call her or try to get her to calm down.  

It's happened twice in the last 2 1/2 years, both times it was a cat and I'm actually afraid of her.

Esteemed Contributor

You're definately not a witch.  I have more respect for animals then any human any day of the week.  If a cat was hanging off a cliff and so was a human, it's a no brainer for me, I'd save the cat.  At least he/she would appreciate it and say thank you.