Honored Contributor

I am obviously a cold-hearted witch...

because I find it very difficult to feel bad for those who allow their dogs or cats out to run around (while the human stays indoors) for... whatever reason and then are pleading with people to help them find their animal.

I FEEL for the poor animal but not the human. 

Yes, that situation is currently happening in my community.

Respected Contributor

Re: I am obviously a cold-hearted witch...

@SahmIam

i completely understand.  we live in a gated community in a rural setting with lots of wild creatures.  you can't believe how many pets are lost due to the owners ignorance and uncaring attitude.

there very often is a posting about a lost pet so you would think people would know what not to do.

cold hearted you are not!

Trusted Contributor

I know and I feel the same way. Now there are times when an animal will get out of the house. Many years ago, one of our cats got out when our son was holding the door open for a relative to leave. I immediately shut the door, told everybody to stay in the house. Nobody, but nobody could leave. And I went outside and sat down on the front step and started talking. About any thing and everything. Eventually, the cat did come up to me and I was able to take him inside. 

But to keep cats (and dogs, too) outside and then whine and carry on when they disappear is ridiculous. If you really don't want them to wander off or somebody to grab them, keep your animals inside.

I see it on FB all the time, where the cat is missing or the dog went outside to pee and didn't come back. I feel so badly for the animal....not so much for the person who allowed the dog to go out with no supervision. 

Honored Contributor

"I am obviously a cold-hearted witch..."

because I find it very difficult to feel bad for those who do not leave during MANDATORY evacuations especially if they are injured or found dead after a catastrophic moment.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam you are not cold-hearted.  I do not understand the mindset of letting your dog run wild off leash (or stay outdoors 24/7). I don't get it, I'll never get it. 

Respected Contributor

Well, I guess I'm odd man out here, but yes, you and others who cannot show compassion for someone who has lost a pet regardless of the reason, are cold-hearted.  JMHO.  Hard lessons for people to learn, but loss is loss regardless of how it happened.

Honored Contributor

I remember, years ago, we had a group of workers in our backyard putting in our patio. Well, I noticed a dog sitting nearby and just assumed he was with them. I walked outside and they asked if he was our dog. Friendly dog but not either of ours. I looked at his tags, called the vet number, they contacted the owner and she was out to retrieve her dog. She was so grateful and I felt very good about what I had done. About two weeks later I noticed a lost dog sign posted in the neighborhood and you guessed it, it was the same dog. Geez.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam you are not a cold hearted person.  When I had my Chloe I bought one of those big old Columbo type flashlights so I could see into every corner of the yard when I would first let her out in the morning (and please know I do not live in an area that has a lot of wildlife).  I no longer have her with me unfortunately but it would have literally killed me if something happened to her because I didn't watch over her.

Respected Contributor

Your not cold hearted at all.  I have a dog and am on top it whenever he is not inside my home.  That little bugger can't get away from me!  HEhehehehehhe

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buck-i-Nana  I understand and respect your opinion. I believe that people need to be held accountable for their actions.....like a drunk who decides to drive and kills someone. Nope, I don't feel for the drunk. Or a parent who chooses to not watch their 16 month old and the child pulls a heavy piece of furniture over and is killed. Nope, I don't feel for that parent.

Choices. We make them. The end result is on you for THAT choice. So yes, I am a cold hearted witch..... and proud of it.