Esteemed Contributor

I REMEMBERED SOMETHING THAT MADE ME LAUGH

[ Edited ]

Every now and than something that happened in the past comes to mind for no reason whatsoever.  I was sitting here at the computer and suddenly remembered what happened years go when I picked up Lindsay at the school bus after school on a particular day.  Because my daughter worked I drove Lindsay to the school bus every morning and picked her up in the afternoon.

Lindsay was enrolled in a Charter School and because the school bus was not within walking distance from our house she had to be driven to the drop off and pick up destinations.  My daughter's air conditioning wasn't working very well so she drove my car to work on that particular day and I drove her car.

Lindsay was in the fourth grade and on this particular day I left the house to meet her after school and drove to the pickup point to wait for the bus.  As it approached I got out of the car and stood at the corner and waited for her to get off the bus.  Together we walked to the car, she got in the back seat, buckled up and I got in the driver's seat.

Okay, we were ready to go home, we were, but the car wasn't.  It wouldn't start.  I forgot to mention that it was 109 degrees that day here in Arizona.  I tried again and again it wouldn't start.  Lindsay unhooked her seat belt, leaned over and pointed while saying, "Grandma, there is no gas, it is on empty",  I looked and sure enough it was on empty.  I didn't bother to look at the gas gauge before leaving the house, naturally I assumed there was gas in the car (one should never assume).

There was no way we could walk home in that heat.  I am not talking about two blocks, I am talking about at least over a mile or more and with my bad back I couldn't have walked that distance on a cool day let alone in 109 degrees.  We had to get out of that heat and it was either call a cab which could have taken a half hour or more so I opted to call the police station...within seven minutes a patrol car pulled up with two officers smiling, we got comfortable in the back seat, gave the driver our address and away we went.

I quietly said to Lindsay, "Your mother is going to pay dearly for this" and the two officers laughed.  I was so embarrassed over the situation but the officer's assured me I did the right thing because we could have suffered heat stroke walking that distance in the heat.  I thanked them, shook their hands and was grateful for their help.  You don't want to know what I said to my daughter when she got home. Woman Mad

Do you have a story you would like to share?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

Re: I REMEMBERED SOMETHING THAT MADE ME LAUGH

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I don't have a story per se, but I will tell you that my grandmother would never have her gas tank below more than 3/4 of a tank. When you're younger it's easier to dismiss that kind of advice, but as I got older I began to see the wisdom of never getting below a certain amount. It ended up saving me many a hairy situation when life steps in the way.

Esteemed Contributor

@NorthernLights wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I don't have a story per se, but I will tell you that my grandmother would never have her gas tank below more than 3/4 of a tank. When you're younger it's easier to dismiss that kind of advice, but as I got older I began to see the wisdom of never getting below a certain amount. It ended up saving me many a hairy situation when life steps in the way.

Sadly to this day my daughter still drives on fumes.  Me?  never, and I mean never would I allow my gas tank to go below the 3/4 mark.  Some people never learn.  Your grandmother was a smart lady and you were smart for paying attention to what she said. Woman Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

You sound like a wise lady, I'm sure at some point your daughter will learn like I did too!  Honestly my grandmother lived through the great depression, I never took her advice for granted. She knew something about everything.

Except consistent refrigeration.  Oh the stories I could tell. My father almost lost an eyeball once.

Esteemed Contributor

Why not tell a few stories here?  We all need a little lightness every once in awhile.  A few laughs to cheer us up.  There is just too much sadness, fear and hate in the world today, so if you have some funny stories to tell I believe most of us will appreciate them.  Think about it. Heart

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma: Wonderful idea! We all need an extra dose of good medicine- to laugh.

My story: DH had neck surgery in March. I had two church friends with me at the hospital. After seeing DH in recovery we decide to get something to eat. I wanted to eat at the hospital . Getting on the elevator, friends were talking. They got on the elevator and started reading the signs posted for the food court. They closed the elevator door. I was not given time to get on the elevator!!! I busted out laughing and just stood still. Elevator returns and door opens and they are laughing. Then everyone is laughing at us. What do my friends do now: if we need the elevator: I am sandwiched in the middle of friends and then get on the elevator and we crack up laughing every time. They even told our Pastor and now were referred to as the 3  trouble makers. Southern Bee🤓

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, I had extensive dental work with endodontist!  Because I absolutely cannot stand "dentist" apts and because I gag easily, I was given a "relaxer" pill.  I could hear all around me, but not really grasp what it was all about!!  Smiley Happy 

So as the endo was working, I heard him say to his assistant "Give me alcohol now!"   I sat up in my chair and loudly asked "Are you going to drink now?"  Everyone in the office heard me!!!  Needless to say, they calmed me down - laughing all the way.  Every time I went to that office, the office staff, assistants and docs all laughed at/with me!!  Eleven years later, still makes me laugh...

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed reading the stories ladies and thanks for the cheer.My story is about my DH.He was driving his boss to the airport and the sun was a little bright so he applied his sunglasses.He was having a great conversation with his boss although he noticed that he was getting sideways glances.Finally his boss asked him why he wore glasses that had only one lense.My DH told me it must have been hard for the guy not to laugh.He also said that he couldn't tell that a lense had fallen out....LOL

Honored Contributor

When I was younger and always rushing I somehow went out wearing two different shoes.I was at the mall and my hip started bothering me.I thought okay this is what getting old feels like.I stopped in at the bank on my way home to speak with the accounts manager. There I noticed that not only was I wearing two different shoes but also they were two different heights.HaHa had to tell one on myself too.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  

One year, we headed to the snow, looking for a snow park for DD.  Of course, DH would never ask anyone where something is.  We got to a spot which he said was a snow park.  Trees and snow, and no people, so I knew he must be wrong.  Nevertheless, he got out of the car with DD following.  I stayed back, and after a few steps, found myself sunken in the snow up to my groin.

I looked around and in the distance, saw DH take a dive, laughing so hard now thinking about it that I can barely type.  Next I knew, he stood up and took his glasses off.  Eventually, they came to me, and he said that when he dove onto the sled, the sled took off into a tree and he cut his nose, LOL.

Of course one would have to know my stubborn DH to appreciate this event, LOL, I couldn't stop laughing all day.  We continued on and finally found the snow park.