Honored Contributor

Re: I Have To Back Off The News For Awhile.

We used to watch the news with Lester Holt and then the local news every evening.  Since February, however, we never turn it on.  I get the NY Times online and every week they have a quiz about the top news stories of the past week.  I have been failing it miserably--LOL!!!  My mental and emotional health are more important to me than keeping current about what's going on in the world.

Respected Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

I love the boards and have learned alot but this forum has gotten so arguementive about Covid issues I do not open them any more. There is so much information, misinformation and politics. The mods try and cut them off and I found myself even trying to help them with an alert when posters name call and are mean.

I am also avoiding posts here of death and dying, illinesses, depression and generally down posts. That includes pets as well as don't need to hear it. I know people are hurting and desire support but it just affects me too much. 

@Gorgf @I wanted to say this for weeks.  Thanks for posting your true thoughts.  I totally agree with you.  I also have backed off the boards for a while for the same reason.  I find them worse than if I sat down and watched the national news.   The news is less depressing.   

Honored Contributor

stimulus bill is not happening here at the deadline.   I feel bad for the folks whose livelihood

was looking forward to some Gov. relief.  Feel bad for parents don't know what to do with sending kids back to school. Looks like they're going to be out for a whole yr.

So many situations just horrible yr. !

Respected Contributor

Count me in. I like to try to keep up on things but Geez the news make me depressed. So I just try to watch the weather.

Honored Contributor

It's healthy to limit intake and find alternative healthier things to do.

For me that includes these forums. The rude and insulting comments are extremely unappealing.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watch the local news, and the NBC News with Lester Holt and that is it. There is no need to watch those 24 hour news channels that rehash everything and run rampant with speculation. 

I remember Desert Storm which I think was the first major engagement to get 24 hour coverage. We had a student and a parent who could not tear themselves away  from the coverage because a family member was serving there. Both of them ending up needing psychological help. They saw bomb blasts and air strikes in whatever little sleep they got as when one grabbed a few winks the other stood guard over the TV cdoverage.

I don't spend much time worrying about things over which I do not have control. I'll watch enough news to keep updated but I can't control what is going on outside of my little world. I do have concerns when my health care might be limited by the virus intrustion. Luckily, I live in an area in which the cumulative positive test results is less than 3%.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

I am right there, too!  I believe in being informed.  However, it's really overkill at this point.  A person's mental health starts to suffer with this over-saturation of constant bad news, negativity, and violence.  I have to walk away and distance myself.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

There is a lot of inaccurate reporting on the news so why even watch. Too sensationalized.
Valued Contributor

This is a topic that I have really been struggling with. I have always been a news junkie, avid reader and have been horrified by the dumbing down of our culture over the last twenty five years. Having said that, I am exhausted by the current situation and have tried more recently to limit my news intake to the local news and David Muir on ABC evening news and avoid checking in to 24 cable news. 

DH and I have been taking long walks out in nature, enjoying our bird feeder with morning coffee, tackling house projects that have been postponed and visiting with old friends by phone. It has helped and I agree with everyone that maintaing our own mental health should be our top priority.

However, we are in NY and while our recovery has been remarkable we know all too well how fragile the situation is and how quickly it can go sideways. 33,000 of our fellow citizens in NY gone in a few short months and I can’t just forget that.

Respected Contributor

i used to be a news junkie too.

i had cable news on all the time when i was at home.   two months ago, i pulled the plug on the news... for reasons that have already been stated here.  there is just way too much lying and bs going on (on both sides) and the newscasters (if you can call them that because some of them are strictly entertainers) seem to be doing way too much yelling and screaming.  

these days i find that i turn it on once a day for maybe ten minutes, just to make sure a plane hasn't crashed, etc.  ... and i find that i am happier without it.