Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Don't Get Some Commercials

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

I don't get some of them either, but this commercial got your attention and we are talking about it so the commercial did succeed in generating interest.   I doubt it will make us run out and buy Colgate though.

The thing is that 90% of the time it is unmemorable or unnoticeable as to what the commercial is about or who the sponser is all it does is raise the price of the product.  

Trusted Contributor

@We are talking about the commercial but not the brand product.   I am not a beer drinker but some of my favorite commercials contained Budweiser's horses and dog, the the frogs, ferret, armadillo and the Bud Lite chicken.

I tried never to miss Johnny Carson's yearly show of best commercials from around the world.  The line of little Asian boys marching to the community bath.  Advance to end....Bubbles came out of the water and everyone turned to look.  

Commercials can entertain me but they have no influence on my purchases.   You ladies here give pros and cons on new products.  Your opinion means something.  The opinion of sales and manufacturers is just their attempt to get us to buy.  Expensive commercials just increase the cost of products.

Honored Contributor

One of my favs is the Lab growing from pup to older dog. One of very most hated is the insurance one where the woman wears heel w/ capris. Looks terrible!!!

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Esteemed Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

One of my favs is the Lab growing from pup to older dog. One of very most hated is the insurance one where the woman wears heel w/ capris. Looks terrible!!!

@Group 5 minus 1  The one with dog is a tear jerker for me.  I haven't seen the insurance one yet.

OT is your signature from Alice in Wonderland?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I absolutely hate pharmaceutical commercials!!  But there is a new one where the actor is so adorable that I always look at and listen to it.  Movantik is the name of the med, it's for constipation.

He tells the story of how long he had it and finally went to his doctor who said, "how did you hold it in so long?"  He then breaks into an adorable smile and says, "that was my Movantic moment."  I always smile myself because he is so cute!!

ETA:  I looked it up and the actor's name is Mike McGowan.  He has a very lengthy resume on Broadway, TV and movies.  Don't know why he never became famous.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

@We are talking about the commercial but not the brand product.   I am not a beer drinker but some of my favorite commercials contained Budweiser's horses and dog, the the frogs, ferret, armadillo and the Bud Lite chicken.

I tried never to miss Johnny Carson's yearly show of best commercials from around the world.  The line of little Asian boys marching to the community bath.  Advance to end....Bubbles came out of the water and everyone turned to look.  

Commercials can entertain me but they have no influence on my purchases.   You ladies here give pros and cons on new products.  Your opinion means something.  The opinion of sales and manufacturers is just their attempt to get us to buy.  Expensive commercials just increase the cost of products.

@Gram W

I remember that!!  It was a classic.  Carson used to crack up!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My favorite one right now is just so smart and well-done: EVIL COMMUTE

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

Actually a lot of commercials these days are to teach us a diversity lesson.....

Not a bad lesson, in my book.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StylishLady wrote:

Some TV commercials leave me scratching my head wondering what they are selling. I'm guessing that whoever paid for them has wasted their money.

-------------------

My father worked his way up from lowest level - runner - to part owner of ad agency!!  He always used to say - if the audience doesn't remember the product, the commercial was a flop!!  

He would be screaming out loud and on the phone at seeing some of the commercials shown nowadays!!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the commercial where the dad is trying to install a DVR (or something hooked up to the TV) and is yelling at the family sitting there to just pick up all remotes and push 3--is funny! 😆

Now, i can't remember what it was selling...maybe Dish or the Hopper?