Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow, I don't know what those in their 20s will tell you, but any reasonable person blessed with 40 or more years of hindsight will say

MOVE ON!

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Hypothetical question.

You're in your twenties and have had a serious relationship for 4 or 5 years with the person you feel is the love of your life.

He or she is absolutely everything you want and admire in a person, and the two of you have discussed marriage.

Your love suddenly dumps you. The reason doesn't matter; it's just that they broke it off for whatever reason.

Due to how wonderful your love was, would you declare, "If it takes forever, I will wait for you," OR would you move on with your life (after grieving the relationship), and eventually (you hope) find someone else to love?

Well, I would figure that my love wasn't  quite what I thought it was and I'd move on with a vengeance! 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Super Contributor
@151949 --- Omg your love story was so touching! 😢.......I'm happy it all worked out for you. 😊
Honored Contributor

My view is not hypothetical. I go by "love waits for no person". Pretty easy for me to answer your hypothetical, "move on".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow

ITA

Move on

the one you want is the one who wants you

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

At that young age, I would give myself time to get over it and try to move on.  That's a lot of years for a relationship so it might take time.  No, do not wait for him.  Good Luck! 

Esteemed Contributor

I would move on.Life is to short to waste your time & love on someone so undeserving of you!!

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Hypothetical question.

You're in your twenties and have had a serious relationship for 4 or 5 years with the person you feel is the love of your life.

He or she is absolutely everything you want and admire in a person, and the two of you have discussed marriage.

Your love suddenly dumps you. The reason doesn't matter; it's just that they broke it off for whatever reason.

Due to how wonderful your love was, would you declare, "If it takes forever, I will wait for you," OR would you move on with your life (after grieving the relationship), and eventually (you hope) find someone else to love?

Absolutely move on.... no question.  I would reassess whether or not that one really was the perfect one for me.  Obviously he felt I wasn't the perfect one for him and he would probably not be back.  I would move on and cut the strings.  Even if he came back later I would have moved on enough not even to be tempted.... but that's just me.

I was in a situation in my 20's where I dated a man for four years and was wearing his engagement ring.  I was the one that broke it off for reasons that I knew I could not endure over the long run.  How did I come to this decision?  I knew even at 24 that I would rather spend the rest of my life by myself if I had to THAN MARRY THE WRONG PERSON!!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I've honestly never known anyone who said they'd wait forever for someone after they broke up.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

Re: Hypothetical question

[ Edited ]

Move on!

You're only in your twenties.  You have a lot of life to live yet.

Focus on your career, learning new things, doing things for others, discovering new hobbies, traveling.

There will be time enough to meet someone else (probably many someone elses) and if you are happy, you will attract the right person for you.

Adding:  Haven't most of us been through this?  It's a part of life.  With the occasional exception, it's rare to meet "the one" when you're so young. 

And guess what?  Maybe you'll never meet "the one."  But you can still be happy on your own, doing your own thing.  Count your blessings and live the life you were meant to live.

Adding (again!):  when I was in my twenties, I probably wouldn't have looked at it this way.  lol   I'd been through a few heartaches myself at that age.  Each time I thought the only person for me was gone.  Not true! 

But it's something you learn with life. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero