Honored Contributor

Why would you want someone who doesn't want you. ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Move On

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

This is a strange question.  It is like asking, which would I rather do, go on vacation or scrub the floor?  

Did anyone actually answer that they'd wait?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Re: Hypothetical question

[ Edited ]

I would move on.  Trust has been broken.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

That one is a no-brainer, MOVE ON

I don't want someone who doesn't want me.

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Hypothetical question.

You're in your twenties and have had a serious relationship for 4 or 5 years with the person you feel is the love of your life.

He or she is absolutely everything you want and admire in a person, and the two of you have discussed marriage.

Your love suddenly dumps you. The reason doesn't matter; it's just that they broke it off for whatever reason.

Due to how wonderful your love was, would you declare, "If it takes forever, I will wait for you," OR would you move on with your life (after grieving the relationship), and eventually (you hope) find someone else to love?

Honored Contributor

That story almost writes itself.  Boy loves girl, girl loves boy.  Girl wants the sparkly diamond and the poofy dress and the open bar and big white wedding......boy is in his 20's and isn't ready to settle down yet.  She pressures him.  He walks...    If I'm 20ish, I think "he's the one" and grieve for what might have been for a couple of months but then I pull myself together and get back out there so I can find the one who is really and truly the "love of my life".  The fact is, we don't have just one love...that's a myth.  We're capable of loving different people at different points in our lives.  We just have to be open for it.   Also, if someone dumps you....you love wasn't all that wondeful for the one who walked out.

Respected Contributor

Hypothetical answer:  Get some counseling to get your head back on straight.  The counselor can help you get through the hurt and move on with your life.

Honored Contributor

Move on. That idea of "waiting forever" is romantic and unrealistic nonsense.

Respected Contributor

Move on

Respected Contributor

When you are young your ideas are different and very idealistic. Love feels different then. Doesn't make them wrong like so many sneer at here. It's how one learns from these experiences. It's an important part for growing into an adult.

By the consensus here the age of posters has formed certain feelings about it. Yet still none of us are experts. It's just how life is...look at the divorce rate and the settling we read about. Shrug.