Honored Contributor
I understand, also, and think he should have consulted you beforehand. I sincerely doubt he meant to hurt you Smiley Happy
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor
On 7/7/2014 kdgn said:

I understand the hurt feelings. It's a subtle reminder that your sweetie is gone and it brings back grief.

I agree with this. Also it would have been nice if he'd asked you first. Hopefully it was his idea and not a suggestion from someone else. Since he's a pilot, maybe he can get you a good deal when you ARE ready to fly again.
Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

I have a friend who had this very thing happen to her. She had used the flights a couple of times. Her son informed her that he was giving her flights to his father-in-law. She laughingly but firmly told him, "oh no you're not." The MIL has one of the flights and she has the other.

Honored Contributor

What your son did was incredibly rude. He took something from you, his mother, and gave it to someone else. I don't think this was his idea; I think his new wife was behind it. He should have asked you if you had any plans to use them and if not would you mind if he transferred them to his FIL. To just transfer them and inform you like you were a nobody is hurtful.

I believe you should tell him that while it makes sense to allow his FIL to use the flights, it was wrong for him to just give away something that he had already given to you without even asking you first.

Trusted Contributor
On 7/7/2014 Kalli said:

calcgirl, I think your feelings are normal and human. Maybe it just finalizes what you've been thinking which could be that you're mourning the loss of your husband and feeling that those travel points were supposed to be for you and for him to use. And now that hope is gone.

I'm so sorry this has happened. I don't blame you at all for feeling as you do. Be kind to yourself as you're missing your husband and the plans you had.

Wish I could say something to make it better. (((hugs)))

-Kalli

Thank you for the hugs.

Super Contributor
I agree that's it wasn't mentioned to you or discussed with you ahead of time. Maybe you had some thoughts that you would start some travel soon or maybe he made you think your son was pulling away a little. Could be all kinds of feelings bouncing around.
Honored Contributor

JMHO, but because he took that gift away, (even if you weren't using it), it would have been nice for him to ask if that was ok with you. He didn't mean to be mean to you, but was just trying to be helpful. You probably raised him to be kind and loving, and he was trying to do that. Some companies say to a person, if you don't use it, you'll lose it. So possibly he was also trying to keep that active in that area. I'm sure if you ever want to travel again, you two will be able to work something out. He didn't do it to hurt you, but to help someone else. To a guy, I think this seems obvious. That's all, don't be hurt mom. Be proud.

Super Contributor

I think he should have told you first but I would not mention it again if it were me. Hopefully he didn't realize it would hurt your feelings and it was just a case of acting before he thought it through.

Honored Contributor
I'm presently in a similar situation that, like yours, has no good solution, and I don't know how to handle it either, but I think it was kind of you to post so that I could be aware of the fact that these things happen. Hope it helps you to know there's someone else pondering something difficult.
Esteemed Contributor

I would be hurt too, YOU are his mother, he should have discussed this with you!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West