Esteemed Contributor
On 7/7/2014 kze said:

Sometimes men just don't think. lol.

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

The son is the pilot, yes? The son is also and adult, is he not?

So, therefore, as the pilot, HE actually owns the passes.

As an adult, it is HIS decision on to whom to give those passes to.

He did not need Mommy's permission to give them away.

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Honored Contributor

It would have been considerate if your son told you before hand.

I think it was a reminder of traveling with your husband - I'm sorry for your loss.

Honored Contributor
On 7/8/2014 Yuban3 said:

He had already given the passes to his mother and then took them away. If I give something that is mine to another, it's a gift and now belongs to them. This wasn't a loan it was a gift and as such was no longer his to give away.

Honored Contributor

If I weren't using the passes, I wouldn't give it a second thought. But, that's just me. I might have mentioned, though, (right when he told me) that if and when I change my mind, that I hope that I can have the flight passes back again. He probably would have said 'sure'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor
On 7/7/2014 evelomaddict said:
On 7/7/2014 kdgn said:

I understand the hurt feelings. It's a subtle reminder that your sweetie is gone and it brings back grief.

yes, i think this is why. all those emotions came rushing back all at once.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((( calcgirl )))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I agree. It's a reminder of who is missing. Grief can happen anytime with very innocuous things. Had your son had asked you it may not have hit you the same way.

Respected Contributor
On 7/8/2014 Yuban3 said:

Yuban, it's not about permission.

It's about the emotions involved.

I'm.sure the o/p doesn't mind..It's just that the son could have handled it more delicately, considering the circumstances.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

I don't think the OP is questioning her son's ""right"" to give the pass to someone else. I think she is upset over how he did it. He announced it as a ""fait accompli"". It would have been considerate of him to explain to her first why someone else needed the pass more and then ask if that was OK with her. Sounds as if she is a reasonable lady and would not have made a fuss. Just a bit ""ham handed"" on the son's part.

Honored Contributor

All in all, it's water under the bridge. The son didn't ask his mom. If it bothered me a lot, I would mention it to him, saying that when I decide to start traveling again, could I have my flight passes back? Just see what he says............ Then, I'd have to accept his answer. I'm fairly confident that something will be worked out.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s. The son probably wanted to make 'a good impression' on his FIL. You know how that goes..........(sometimes) anything to impress the fiancé/wife, the inlaws, etc., etc. I've seen it a hundred times............