Honored Contributor

Re: How many have changed out their wedding set for a new one?

My original engagement ring was my husband's grandmother's (tiny) diamond. We both had plain gold band wedding rings. Every time his grandmother saw me, she asked about her diamond. I became paranoid what would happen if I lost it. As luck would have it, the ring was stolen.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Throughout our marriage my husband has upgraded that ring a number of times. My wedding ring was a 4.5. It hasn't fit in 20 years. I have a 3 stone ring and eternity bands I wear in place of a wedding ring.

I seriously doubt my husband would have been offended if I still had my original ring and did not wear it.

You need only read the jewelry forum to know many ladies have multiple "wedding sets".

I've seen the OP post about DMQ so really do not understand why she started this thread.

Honored Contributor

There are still good quality diamonds out there and I would agree with Gato that, for a diamond that small, it would be particularly easy to find that quality.

I've not switched mine out. But I have had arthritis for 20 years now and it's gotten difficult to wear a ring so I only put mine on when we go out. Other than that, I never wear it anymore. Besides, the center diamond sits up kind of high and would get in the way.

Super Contributor

My wedding set was stolen when our home was robbed so it was taken out of my hands. I found a beautiful vintage (c.1930's) ring in one of my favorite shops and that's what I mainly wear now. It's a white gold, five stone ring with mine cut diamonds. The total carat weight is .50, smaller than the ring I lost but it doesn't matter to me. It's like me, it has history and I love it!

They also had a pretty ring that appears to be from the 80's, in yellow gold with three round diamonds and a baguette on each side that looks like it matched an engagement ring. It totals one carat and I got that one, too. I wear it less often than the other one, but I love it, too.

I hope the DB who took my rings got caught robbing someone else and is in jail.

Nope, no bitterness here. lol

Respected Contributor

On 10/20/2014 reese2 said:

My wedding set was stolen when our home was robbed so it was taken out of my hands. I found a beautiful vintage (c.1930's) ring in one of my favorite shops and that's what I mainly wear now. It's a white gold, five stone ring with mine cut diamonds. The total carat weight is .50, smaller than the ring I lost but it doesn't matter to me. It's like me, it has history and I love it!

They also had a pretty ring that appears to be from the 80's, in yellow gold with three round diamonds and baguettes on each side that looks like it matched an engagement ring. It totals one carat and I got that one, too. I wear it less often than the other one, but I love it, too.

I hope the DB who took my rings is got caught robbing someone else and is in jail.

Your new rings sound beautiful, reese. I can understand your anger over the theft, such a violation. May you wear your new jewelry with health and happiness for many, many years. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 reese2 said:

They also had a pretty ring that appears to be from the 80's, in yellow gold with three round diamonds and a baguette on each side that looks like it matched an engagement ring. It totals one carat and I got that one, too. I wear it less often than the other one, but I love it, too.

I hope the DB who took my rings got caught robbing someone else and is in jail.

{#emotions_dlg.wub} Oh Reese! They sound gorgeous!

Respected Contributor

I always loved my ring set and wouldn't think of replacing it with anything else. It's beautiful and it holds sentimental value.

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

Minky and MJ

Thank you both!

Respected Contributor

6 in 40 years
Super Contributor

My current 31/2 carat wedding set is an upgrade I received for my twentieth anniversary, my husband splurged with this set. He had a jeweler custom design it. I really love it! I wore a thick white gold band till then. We purchased a house and paid for a small wedding and honeymoon and had no money to splurge on a wedding set . We just celebrated our 35th anniversary this month!

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Free2be said:

Perhaps the husband of your friend thought his wife was bragging and was uncomfortable with the ""flashing"" and nothing more.

She did not show it to me until I noticed it and asked her about it.