Respected Contributor

Re: How do you feel about kids playing on top of Memorials?

On 3/25/2015 raven-blackbird said:

I'm not much on memorials.......I find it disrespectful to pay homage to a statue, and ignore some not so good realities... those vets that are alive are overlooked and pushed to the side or not provided services they desperately need..........suicide rate among our vets is horrendous..........those vets that statue represents died so those kids could play in a free country........even if it's on a statue..........we show our appreciation to those that died, by making sure their "brothers in arms" are treated with respect and provided for...............................raven

To me, that memorial (and others in the same manner) represent a tombstone for all of those who have passed and a memorial to those brave, selfless nurses who held them in their dying moment. To say that it is disrespectful to pay homage to a statue makes no sense to me. Who is it disrespecting? And what not so good realities is it ignoring to do so?

My children would never have done such a thing, they knew from the first time they stepped into a cemetery how to conduct themselves and they knew to behave the same at memorial sites.

The children should have been thanking the veteran in the wheelchair not treating the memorial as a jungle gym. But, I would not doubt that the apple did not fall far from the tree.