Trusted Contributor

Hotel prices and extra charges

As I have been planning a trip coming up in October that will take us over 3000 miles round-trip, I'm astounded at the differences in hotel pricings AND the extras some hotels add on.

It seems the more expensive the hotel is, the more charges there are. I don't get it.

We're staying in a range of types of hotels, with the least expensive being around $80 (an overnight along the highway) to $300 for an historic downtown hotel in a busy city for several nights.

The $80 "motel" gives us free parking, free breakfast, free wifi, free use of pools, etc. The room taxes are 14%. Plus they have mini fridges, microwaves and coffee machines.

The $300 hotel charges $20 a day for self parking - $23 for valet parking. If you want breakfast in the hotel, you have to buy it at their restaurant. There are no fridges, microwaves or in-room coffee. If you want "free" wifi, you have to come down to the lobby....internet in the rooms is done via ethernet (!). Plus there is another $41 a day taxes, $11.95 a day in service fees - I'm assuming this is the same thing as "resort" fees.

I realize the bigger fancier hotels have huge overhead expenses. It just seems that the more expensive the room is, the more "fees" they keep adding on. Those fees can really jack up travel expenses!!