Trusted Contributor

Have You Ever Felt Your Departed Loved Ones Around You?

My Dad passed away last year and we were very close. I was his caregiver when he was diagnosed with cancer. I miss him very much.

I see him vividly in dreams and have had to make major decisions since his passing and have been in awe that I made wise decisions and handled things with maturity and integrity and strength. I felt him around me as if he was guiding me through those moments of pain and confusion.

Yesterday I was working on fixing a household item and had just torn it apart to clean it up inside, only to have major difficulty getting it back together. I was afraid I broke it and was upset and just overwhelmed trying to restore it back to where it was before. I looked at the picture of my Mom and Dad on a table near by and just asked, "Dad what am I doing wrong? I don't know what to do?" "I'm not stupid, but it won't work." I was utterly frustrated.

In about 3 minutes time, a "lightbulb" went off in my head and I tried a different way to solve the problem and it worked. "Something" told me to try it the other way... I had been at it for over an hour to no avail before.

It made me smile and laugh and I felt my Dad there, giving me the help I needed, but more importantly, the confidence that I could do it. I do believe that our loved ones watch over us. I've felt it and have been brave in my life recently because I felt that guidance and strength that I didn't know I had.

I told this story to a friend, and she now is avoiding me. Apparently, she has never had the blessing of knowing you're not alone. Apparently, a bit of spiritual awakening frightened her.

Just wondering if others have had these type of stories. I just know it made me smile and cry a bit to know that in some small way, they never truly leave us.

Thanks for letting me share this personal story. I know I'll get some who will make fun, but who cares... I felt my Dad helping me and no one can prove I'm wrong. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Respected Contributor

Re: Have You Ever Felt Your Departed Loved Ones Around You?

Yes. In fact, they really don't feel "departed" to me. Lol! They are around, or come when I ask them. Meaning, I pray and talk to them to help me. And they do. They help me get through tough situations, help me to clear my mind so I can make decisions, etc. Not everyone believes in this, and that's fine with me. I know what I've felt and experienced. Don't ever stop "talking" to your dad. Keep him in your heart. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

My Dad passed 10 years ago, and I have always felt such inner peace about his passing. I truly feel my Dad's presence in my life every single day, and have no doubt he watches over my Mom and our entire family. I have heard his voice on several occasions, and know he has guided me with decisions as well. When I had my knee surgery several years ago, I was confident and at peace with my decision to have the surgery, because I felt my Dad was telling me now was the time. When I was wheeled from pre-op holding into the OR, I closed my eyes and saw my Dad surrounded by all my family members who have also passed, and I knew they were watching over me, and all would be fine. My surgery and recovery was an awesome experience, and I feel compelled to share my personal experience in order to share a more positive light on this challenging procedure that many, including myself, put off too long.
Honored Contributor

Have You Ever Felt Your Departed Loved Ones Around You?

Yes, and moreso the 2 times I saw the "bright light". One with my first heart attack and the other time when I suffered a hematoma in the major artery in the groin 2 days after I had a Heart Cath procedure.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Only in my dreams and I do have plenty of them.

Honored Contributor

In dreams and also in daily experiences. I don't really believe in mediums or that kind of thing- I think we keep the connections ourselves, and some of us simply acknowledge the "contacts" and some, for whatever reason, don't. I'm still waiting for connection with a dearly loved friend who passed this last spring, but I'm not aware that I've had a connection just yet. Trying to remain open to one!
Super Contributor

Not really....I've been widowed twice. Might be awkward.

Once I was sure I heard my mom's voice call my name. Sometimes a scent triggers vivid memories or the light and air on a particular day.

Honored Contributor

My parents have been gone for 23 years. I can't say I feel their presence but I do often recall my Mom's words. My mother was a person who loved sayings - and used them often to help us learn about life. Those saying pop into my head every day.

Honored Contributor

My church teaches that this life on earth is just one phase of the lives your spirit will go through and when you leave earth behind you leave the memories of it here. Just as you do not have any memory of the lives you had before this one - and no connections to it - you will totally leave this life and all memories of it and go to the next one. Thus - i do not believe that there is anyone waiting for me in Heaven or that there are any loved ones watching over me.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in a horrible 10 car accident about 17 yrs. ago, my father had been gone about 5 yrs., My small truck was hit twice by a full size truck and then again by a huge van. I had a dislocated shoulder and driving with my left arm and holding my then 2 yr. old son with my right (like when we brake suddenly). Anyway I was going straight to the palm tree and I thought people die when they hit the palm tree, with my dislocated shoulder I steered out of the way but felt someone holding me. When the ambulance came, since my son was ok, they wouldn't take him with me so I wouldn't go until my sister who happened to work in the same town came for him. When I got to the hospital, they didn't know how I had a large mark going across my arms across my chest. I knew it was my Dad holding me as I could smell him when I was going towards the palm tree.