Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Been Able To Find Paper Goods

I people may be stocking up again for the flu/corona virus season this fall/winter.  This is definitely not over.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann wrote:

Don't use paper napkins so I haven't looked for them, but paper towels and TP are in good supply in my area. So is bleach, which was out for months. Even scored a spray bottle of Clorox Clean-Up and a refill.

What caught my attention a few days ago were bare shelves in food sections again. Pizza had blank spots, as did some vegetable categories. Pasta and sauces were thin. Lots of beef, pork, and chicken, so that's okay. But seeing the packaged and frozen goods looking more like April than June feels like a warning.

Now that I've hooked up my chest freezer, when our hot spell passes I plan to be cooking and freezing meals for fall and winter. I'll also lay in a couple of months of TP, paper towels, laundry detergent, and favored cleaners. Life during wartime.

@noodleann - I haven't been to the store too many times recently, but when I have, I also have noticed the spotty outages and shortages on some foods, such as those you mentioned,  giving me pause also.

I am staying very stocked up, overstocked, on the items that were really difficult to find the first time around like tp, Kleenex, paper towels. etc.  Now that I am just cooking for one, I need to figure out food wise what to stock.  I have plenty of things to eat here, but I am not the worlds biggest cook. 

I am preparing for a possible second shutdown and have definitely noticed the shortages in the store on food items and it concerns me. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I am stocking up on paper and cleaning products and hand sanitizer for the second wave.

I didn't get the memo the first time about stocking up so I don't want to be in the same position again.

I had been buying the minimum they would allow when stuff finally started coming back in stock and now I have a cute little paper fort in my basement.

I was able to get 3 gallons of Clorox on Amazon.  So I can make my own spray and wipes if I have to.

What I can't find are Playtex gloves or sponges.  Surgical gloves are ridiculously priced on Amazon and I have not seen them in any store yet.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Early on, I purchased a brand of napkins called Genuine Joe's. I bought their version of 2-ply embossed dinner ones.

I have since found a better price on Amazon. You get 3000 napkins divided into 30 packs in each package. We use them for as napkins but also to limit our use of paper towels, which were hard to find back then.

These are not as luxurious as fancy dinner ones. but their fine for us right now. They are currently $49.29 and on Prime.

We still have about a third of the packs left.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I went to my local Fresh market, and that aisle looked normal. Fully stocked with paper goods and kitchen cleaning products. I didn't look for sanigel or clorox wipes, but it was nice to see no shortages of paper goods. They are still limiting how many one can buy though.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I am stocking up on paper and cleaning products and hand sanitizer for the second wave.

I didn't get the memo the first time about stocking up so I don't want to be in the same position again.

I had been buying the minimum they would allow when stuff finally started coming back in stock and now I have a cute little paper fort in my basement.

I was able to get 3 gallons of Clorox on Amazon.  So I can make my own spray and wipes if I have to.

What I can't find are Playtex gloves or sponges.  Surgical gloves are ridiculously priced on Amazon and I have not seen them in any store yet.

@VaBelle35   

If I were you, I’d stock up for the first wave. We are not anywhere close to getting through it. It is way too early to be worried about a second wave; we might never get through this one, according to experts.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3   It's just me, so a 6 pack of bathroom tissues lasts at least 6 weeks (probably more, but I've never tracked it and now with all the different brands I have, with different sheet counts and plys (plies?), I have no idea how long it will last.

But conservatively, I am good through next Spring.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

With talk of a 2nd wave coming for sure, there have been shortages in my local grocery store.  My husband heard that there would be more chaos and so he bought two huge packages of paper towels, not that we were out at all at the time...and already had multiple packages of t/p in our storage room. 

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@willdob3   It's just me, so a 6 pack of bathroom tissues lasts at least 6 weeks (probably more, but I've never tracked it and now with all the different brands I have, with different sheet counts and plys (plies?), I have no idea how long it will last.

But conservatively, I am good through next Spring.

@VaBelle35 

It is just me here, too. A package of TP lasts a long time! I just purchased my second package since all this started and haven’t opened it yet.

I am planning on picking up another package with some future grocery orders because the situation here just keeps getting worse. Too many scenarios might make it difficult to get basic things. I’m also purchasing extra meat. 

Esteemed Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@Jordan2 I have learned to forget (most of the time) my "brand loyalty" during this pandemic. I stalk walmart, target and amazon webistes for stuff that I need. Just now, I found Bounty paper towels and Vanity Fair napkins on the taget website. Free ship at $ 35 which is very easy for me to do. Plus I don't have to lug the stuff. I appreciate the delivery. 

If you have a Target Debit or Credit card, you get free shipping and 5% discount on your items. You don't have a minimum to get free shipping. I use it all the time. I love Target.