Honored Contributor

Those who are lonely and bored need to do something to remedy that situation. Volunteer - get a part time job - join some clubs - go to plays or other events. If you are lonely and bored it is your own fault.

Honored Contributor

Re: Happiness at retirement

[ Edited ]

I thank God everyday that, although, I didn't have a high paying job that gave me a big pension, I have one.  Although they messed up my social security benefit, it's still enough to pay my Medicare.  Between my husband and myself, we make it but there is not a lot of disposable income anymore.   So I would never tell another person what they can/should do to increase their enjoyment of retirement if it requires getting out.  

Even volunteering requires disposable funds.  You need a car with gas in it.   It's ridiculous what it costs to go to the theater, dinner, pay $30 for parking.  

I have a friend who worked in the lunchroom at the school where I worked.  Her pension is next to nothing because she had the lowest salary position in the school system.  She plans how often she drives and how much food she buys.  She hasn't said she's bored with retirement but if she is, there's not much she can do that doesn't require money to fix it.  

Like I said, I know I am blessed!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I feel that happiness, at any time of your life depends on many things.  I think health is #1, not matter what stage of life you're in.  #2 is good relationships with friends, family members, etc.  #3 is being financially sound, money does not guarantee happiness but it sure makes things easier, having choices.  

I know many people who are retired and the ones I know personally are all very happy or at least content with their life.  The ones that I know personally have all of the three things that I've mentioned above.  

In retirement hobbies & volunteering your time are things to do that will bring satisfaction to your life.  I know many people who are semi-retired, still enjoying a job as a consultant or some other part time job.  You do have to figure out what to do and some people do have a hard time doing that.  

Honored Contributor

I retired  in June of 2013 at age 58.  I had had my double knee replacement and was suppose to go back to my job of 25 years after  about 12 weeks.  When the 12 weeks was coming up.... I JUST COULD NOT GO BACK.  I was done with my job. Tired, worn out , just hated it.  I have arthritis in my back and neck  and my job was quite physical.  I am so glad to be done with it.

I had both my hips replaced as well in 2014 and 2015.  Body  feeling pretty good other than my neck and back.  But now I can rest when needed... and take better care of myself.  My husband is still working and probably will retire here in a couple of years. No plans yet.  House will be payed off here in a year and a half. Decide it we want to sell and move to our final retirement home. No stairs, small small yard.

Lots to look forward to in the coming 20 some years out.   Life is unpredicable so I treasure every day!

Honored Contributor

I grew up spending much of my life in Florida because my Mother had to work so for all our school vacations we would go to Fl. to be cared for by my Uncle's housekeeper. She was wonderful to us. Anyway, I always knew I wanted to retire to Florida someday, and I am happy as a lark here. Even though I was a skier I always hated everything about winter in the north. 

As for retiring - I believe you hit a time that you are ready, mentally. For me - I had become physically unable to do my job due to my bad back and severe arthritis.I would get home from work and , literally, have to crawl up the stairs from the garage into the house. Then I had to have a surgery that was going to leave me in a wheelchair for 4 months at least so I decided that was my time to retire. I was 58 & it was the best decision I ever made. My DH retired 4 years later and we moved to Florida. However, we maintain a camp in Pa where we snowbird in the summer to get out of the severe heat, and spend time with family & friends up north.

I think everyone has to make their own decision what kind of retirement they would enjoy, and then seek it out. We put my entire paychecks into our retirement savings for 6 years to really build up what we had in our 401k. In order to do that we had to deny ourselves things we would have liked to buy or trips we may have liked to take etc. and live on just DH's income. We also had a cousin who was a financial advisor and she invested our money well and kept it safe from all the recessions etc over the years so we never had any huge financial hits that some folks suffered.

It was lonely when we first moved here but we joined in activities at church and where we live and made new friends. Now it seems we are busy all the time.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Those who are lonely and bored need to do something to remedy that situation. Volunteer - get a part time job - join some clubs - go to plays or other events. If you are lonely and bored it is your own fault.

Nothing like blaming others for their situations which you know nothing about. Some people have to deal with anxiety, depression, pain, debilitating illness, terminal illness, or are caregivers for family members. I normally  don't read your posts, but unfortunately I read this one and find it rude and

condescending. Your life is not everyone elses.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I thank God everyday that, although, I didn't have a high paying job that gave me a big pension, I have one.  Although they messed up my social security benefit, it's still enough to pay my Medicare.  Between my husband and myself, we make it but there is not a lot of disposable income anymore.   So I would never tell another person what they can/should do to increase their enjoyment of retirement if it requires getting out.  

Even volunteering requires disposable funds.  You need a car with gas in it.   It's ridiculous what it costs to go to the theater, dinner, pay $30 for parking.  

I have a friend who worked in the lunchroom at the school where I worked.  Her pension is next to nothing because she had the lowest salary position in the school system.  She plans how often she drives and how much food she buys.  She hasn't said she's bored with retirement but if she is, there's not much she can do that doesn't require money to do it.  

Like I said, I know I am blessed!

Just an example - we enjoy the activities at the YMCA but it is a little pricey. SO we were careful to buy a health insurance plan that includes Silver Sneakers - they pay for our YMCA membership.And you know what - that insurance doesn't cost us anything over the $104 they take from our medicare.  NO everything does NOT cost money. That insurance also has dental & vision coverage that actually saves us a lot of money. We go to church less than 2 miles from our home and participate in activities there a lot - many are free or very inexpensive. We both volunteer at the food bank and have made good friends there. It does not take money to go out and be a part of the community you live in. Take a walk and chat with your neighbors. We have a blind neighbor who lives with a caretaker. They take long walks and stop to chat all along the way or they go sit by the pool and socialize there. Totally free.

Honored Contributor

Re: Happiness at retirement

[ Edited ]

@RetRN wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Nothing like blaming others for their situations which you know nothing about. Some people have to deal with anxiety, depression, pain, debilitating illness, terminal illness, or are caregivers for family members. I normally  don't read your posts, but unfortunately I read this one and find it rude and

condescending. Your life is not everyone elses.

Some people are ill but don't let it RUIN their lives and some do . I wrote on the other board - we had a guy who worked at our foodbank on Thursday and died the next Sunday from cancer - he lived to the fullest til the very end.It is all about mental attitude more than anything else. Yes, sometimes people have cronic pain -- guess what - sitting in your house crying about it does not make it hurt less. I know - I have bad arthritis & it is in my spine. I hurt all the time, and can't take any pain meds but tylenol, because of kidney disease. I still get out & about, volunteer and enjoy life as much as I possibly am able. 

It totally is up to you - glass half empty or glass half full - it's a free country so do what ever you want. Be happy or miserable - it is all up to you. 

I haved a neighbor who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia - well she took it as the end of her life. She stayed in the house and pretty much just stayed in bed all day every day. So one day her DH brought home a puppy to keep her company so he could get out a little - play some golf , fish etc. That dog was the best thing that ever happened to her... she had to housebreak and train him - she HAD TO walk him to go potty  and ultimately, she figured out that she was able to do much more than she ever thought she could do. She admits now to anyone who will listen that the more you get up and move the better you will feel with fibro and she even takes yoga now. Mental attitude.  She named her dog the Indian word for lifesaver - because he saved her.

Valued Contributor

Staying on topic, retirement for me was like discovering the best "feel good" pill available.  At this age, I have dealt with back pain, nerve-ending pain, arthritis, carpel tunnel etc.

The pain is with me constantly but not having to go to work, pretending everything is fine, is just such a huge relief.  

I am a reader and now have the time to read all day if I wish.  Yes, money is a problem, but not working has meant that I don't need special clothes, shoes and handbags; I don't have to pay monthly commuting costs; nor do I have to spend too much on cafeteria lunches.

By nature, I see the glass half full, but my happiness now overrides that!

Honored Contributor

@coco14 wrote:

Further elaborating on my earlier post, I made my decision to retire on a Friday, shortly after New Year's Day.  I had the day off, but received phone calls all day - at the end of the day, I said (to myself) that I was going to announce my retirement on the following Monday.  Which I did - giving one month's notice.

So, something I truly hadn't planned to do but so so happy that I did.

As a result of my action, two other people I worked with decided to do the same thing and the three of us get together often for lunch.  And we are not restricted to taking only one-half hour to eat!  Lunch continues to be a real treat.

Every single day is a blessing.

@coco14, I hear you on the 30-minute lunches! For most of my last job, even though 30 min for lunch was the official time everyone had, the supervisors in my area had discretion to allow employees to combine lunch and breaks and take an hour lunch.

Oh, how we loved our hour lunches! It served our dept well because we were chronically understaffed and literally *could* not take breaks because there was no one to relieve us (I say "us" but it was mostly me that never.  had any relief). I took a later lunch, and had time to eat a decent lunch and relax with a book, or go to a nearby restaurant. It allowed you to actually relax properly instead of the constant 30-min. rush.

Then a new administration took over, and poof, no more discretion, no more hour lunches. Everyone was bitterly unhappy about the situation, but it was what it was. And since we "had" to take breaks we were having to get up and walk away from an involved task and leave co-workers to deal with situations they knew nothing about, that would take longer to explain than the break. And if we didn't get a break (again, understaffed and frequently left alone), there was heck to pay - it would of course be *our* fault. Marking your time record "no break(s) today" freaked admin out. Muahaha!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all