Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I was teacher.  Retirement is like having Saturday everyday.  It doesn't get much better than that!

My sentiments and experience is the same as yours. No bringing grading and lesson plans or answering parent e-mails from home anymore.

Honored Contributor

Life is what you make it.  Whatever your financial situation just choose to be happy.  I am retired for 5 years, I am not wealthy; I have a current medical conditon but I refuse to let it get me down and my cat brings joy into my life too.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

After working for 50 years, I retired at 67 three years ago.  I have never been happier - I worked in the financial industry and the stress and tension were palpable every single day.

The only right decision I made was to wait until 66 to collect my social security - I never made enough money to contribute to a 401K and my company stopped accruing pension payouts a number of years ago.  But somehow I have managed and I thank 

God every morning for my retirement (among other things!)

At this time, I am nursing a bad back but experience (even now) such a sense of relief knowing I do not have to go to work.

Bar none, the best time of my life.

Honored Contributor

@coco14 wrote:

After working for 50 years, I retired at 67 three years ago.  I have never been happier - I worked in the financial industry and the stress and tension were palpable every single day.

The only right decision I made was to wait until 66 to collect my social security - I never made enough money to contribute to a 401K and my company stopped accruing pension payouts a number of years ago.  But somehow I have managed and I thank 

God every morning for my retirement (among other things!)

At this time, I am nursing a bad back but experience (even now) such a sense of relief knowing I do not have to go to work.

Bar none, the best time of my life.

Wow. I retired just a few months shy of 67, I too waited to collect full SS, and I too had very little (compared to many) 401K money. I'm also dealing with a bad back! Spooky, innit?

Nothing is ever going to be perfect. There are things I could wish were otherwise, but all told I'm lucky - I have few worries, a roof over my head, and while I can't "go out and do" as much as I'd like, I still manage to enjoy myself when I do. It could be so much worse. Work was crushing my soul.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I am not sure I would be happy in retirement as I have had family members and friends who were not.

It's great, though, when retirement is a good fit.

I'll work until I think I should retire, and that kind of decision can turn on a dime.  But I want to work as long as possible b/c I love my job.

I don't love my current state, FL and will fly home as soon as I do decide to retire.  I am a little afraid I will sit around and do nothing, and I am happier when I am active.  I can be reclusive and also am happier when I am out and about.  Everyone is different.  I am well over retirement age but not ready to stop working yet.  I enjoy it (most days!).

Esteemed Contributor

I worked in various jobs with the Federal government for close to 38 years.

My commute was nearly 2 hours each way -- worse if it rained or snowed or the sun was too bright Woman LOL

There is absolutely nothing I miss about working.  I left in 2010 at age 60, and I've loved every minute of it.  I'm as busy as I want to be and never bored -- never.

After all those years of commuting, I'm happy to be at home.  The best is knowing Sunday night I do not have to go to work Monday!  HurrayWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

@mosky

I am happy for you. Last month it was 25 years since I retired and it was the best thing to do for myself.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I left work 15 years ago because of a serious neurological disorder.  DH took early retirement 14 years ago.  The first 3 years were rough, but I am doing great & RETIREMENT is the best job in the world.  We travel a lot,  enjoy lots of friends & have fun with our families.  So many prayers have been answered.  

Contributor

Re: Happiness at retirement

[ Edited ]

@Burnsite wrote:

I am not sure I would be happy in retirement as I have had family members and friends who were not.

It's great, though, when retirement is a good fit.

I'll work until I think I should retire, and that kind of decision can turn on a dime.  But I want to work as long as possible b/c I love my job.

I don't love my current state, FL and will fly home as soon as I do decide to retire.  I am a little afraid I will sit around and do nothing, and I am happier when I am active.  I can be reclusive and also am happier when I am out and about.  Everyone is different.  I am well over retirement age but not ready to stop working yet.  I enjoy it (most days!).

@Burnsite

Can you share what you don't like about Florida? We are considering a place there and nervous about making a big move and not liking it.

We haven't retired yet, but I'd sure like to. I'm almost 65, have worked since I'm 15, raised 3 kids and I really want a break. We are helping our kids payoff student loans and I just feel sometimes that my husband and I will never get our chance to travel and enjoy life a bit before it's all over. Everytime I bring it up, my husband just keeps pushing me to keep going. Thankfully, we are healthy, but life is so uncertain. I think I'd love being retired! I envy all of you who have happily made it there.

Trusted Contributor

I am so envious of those of you that have retired.

My day job is soul-sucking and I'm not sure how much longer I can go on. I could retire from it as an early  retirement but medical insurance would suck up almost 1/2 of monthly income.
I may bite the bullet and hope I can pick up more hours at the skating job I love.