Respected Contributor

Re: Grandchildren

[ Edited ]

Our grandchildren have always been a huge part of our life.

I cared for all four until they were in kindergarten so my children were able to work. 

We had hectic, crazy, tiring days but I would not trade that time with them for anything. 

It was stipulated if something happened to their parents, they would come to us.  That is true today also.

Then and now I would take them in a heartbeat.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

@paixmcdao : Yes my Son has legal custody but they coparent. She is in CA and we are in AZ.  It is a 13 HR trip each way; because she begged my Son let her have them through elementary school for school (We took Christmas and Summer, plus Covid shutdown). She lied a lot, constantly, so Son changed so we have school custody.  We have always provided clothing, medical, dental etc. We always take them to all " fun things" they've ever had ( malls,  medieval times, Disney, beach etc). Older boy is having school and dental issues

Trusted Contributor

I very likely could be facing this dilema next year.  I am WAAAAAAYYYY too young for retirement.  I have already told my husband that we in NO way can take on a baby.  We still have kids in school.  Retirement is no where near, no space in our home.  Financially we can not pay for day care expenses so we can work (we still have nightmares of those expenses since we did it not long ago).  Most of all I don't want to be forced to deal with the "other" grandparents who have already harrassed me.

Contributor

@wannabee1  Well all I knew was that my son & his girlfriend were having a baby (2.5 yrs ago) they basically were homeless, unemployed & on drugs. Turns out that the GF had another child, little girl, that was already in foster care. I was 67 at the time & live in the country not many services or activities. The baby/grandson would not have done well here, broke my heart but true. Group meeting by social services etc. were done including my other older responsible son - the responsible son & his wife became the "foster" parents for about 1.5 years. Now my son & his girlfriend have gone for treatment & have cleaned up, son is working, and they have been reunited with the little girl & have gotten her out of foster care and they have a place to live. A lot of work & time but all seems good now. All I can say to the OP is that if family can't take the baby/grandchild the baby will go into foster care and it's not a good place. Best of luck to your friend.