Honored Contributor

Re: Gas prices soar

[ Edited ]

@Oldfaithful wrote:
@Mint2they make an excuse for every increase.
We're just being slammed for any reason they make up. It's the heat, it's the cold, it's covid, it's hurricane season on and on. Labor day is coming, it's still summer travel season. They bump it up for anything they want and we'll keep paying. Government gets richer and we get poorer.

@Oldfaithful   @Mint2

Who is the "they" you're referring to? 

Uh .... Are you under the impression that our government sets our gas prices?   

Gas prices are MUCH higher in some other countries, and we don't control other countries' gas prices, either.  

Article July 24, 2023 indicates:

Residents of Hong Kong pay the highest international gas prices, with 1 gallon setting them back $11.43. Iceland comes in second at $8.91 per gallon, followed by Monaco at $8.49 per gallon.

A Look at Gas Prices Around the World (usnews.com)

Honored Contributor

I prefer energy independence.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@ciao_bella wrote:

Agreed!  I filled up the gas tank at Costco this morning at $3.53 a gallon here in NJ.  

@ciao_bella oh wow!  We filled up Friday morning at the Hazlet station and it was "only" $3.39.  It went up a lot over the weekend.

@CelticCrafter   My fill up was also at the Hazlet Costco station. I was surprized because my fill up before this one, also at Hazlet, was $3.35. Not sure if you're aware, but different Costco's charge different prices for gas.  Sometimes, if I'm shopping or out and about and closer to either Marlboro/Morganville or Edison Costco, I'll fill up there.  Interestingly, I just checked this morning and Hazlet gas price is $3.54 per gallon (regular) and Edison gas prices is $3.39 per gallon (regular) and Marlboro/Morganville is $3.49 per gallon.   I wonder why they charge different prices?

You can compare here:

How to find Costco gas prices online?

Go to Costco.com navigate to warehouse locations select the station near you and check the real-time gas price. You can also check the price via the Costco mobile app by navigating to the Menu -> Gas Prices and locating the specific station you need on the map

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor
So the government owns all the gas stations? That's a new one
"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Esteemed Contributor

$3.75 Costco.  Good thing we don't drive far. Grateful we have the money to pay. Our area is central Md. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

$3.80 this morning outside of Tampa.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

My last fill up was 2 weeks ago at Sam's and it was $2.84/gallon.  Today it's $3.15.

Respected Contributor

Given how gas company's profits doubled in 2022 from 2021, one can only wonder how much their profits have increased this year although the numbers aren't out yet.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Regular Contributor
@Mint2 I never said government controlled the price of gas that was your statement. Federal and local entities are profiting from the taxes on gas. That's a fact.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oldfaithful  Whoa there I think you are talking to the wrong peron here. I never said anything about government involvement in this. Might want to check who you are replying to.