Honored Contributor

Re: Gas prices soar

[ Edited ]

@Jacie wrote:

The US has plenty of resources and it's about time they were put to good use for the American people.

@Jacie 

I remember years ago a professor saying why the U.S. using up their oil reserves was the worst possible thing we could do.    

I have to paraphrase his comments here, so don't take this literally, but let's say our country uses just about all our oil reserves over several years and then we are FORCED to buy oil from other countries because we don't have any, and too many of us are still driving gas vehicles.  

"They" (other countries) would have us over a barrel, pun intended.   If we run out, we're in deep doo-doo.

If we have no other market to buy from, and Saudi Arabia wanted to charge us what would leap to $40 or $60 a gallon, would us having used up all our own  reserves still make sense?  

The point is that we still use too much fuel and our reserves aren't nearly as substantial as what other countries' have access to.   

Most Americans don't want to be "forced" to buy an electric vehicle, but they would lost their minds if, hypothetically, gas cost $40 a gallon!    

What I see is them trying to achieve a balance and encourage more EVs over time.    Unless someone comes up with a way to power vehicles that isn't gas or electric, that's it.  Or ... we all buy bicycles.

Respected Contributor

Yesterday morning when I went to work the Mobil station was $3.59.  Coming home from work that afternoon the same station jumped 30 cents in price.  Woman Sad

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

You can have your electric vehicles. Not for me as they are not the panacea that officials make them out to be.

The US needs to take care of the US instead of the rest of the world, and if that means using some oil, so be it. We have some problems here and why do our hard earned dollars/taxes routinely leave our country instead of caring our own. We all have opinions on it, but not to be discussed here.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

I got gas at Costco this morning. I paid $4.14 for premium, two weeks ago I paid $3.84.

Honored Contributor

Reuters

July 9, 2022 - More than 5 million barrels of oil that were part of a historic U.S. emergency reserves release to lower domestic fuel prices were exported to Europe and Asia last month, according to data and sources, even as U.S. gasoline and diesel prices hit record highs.

Factcheck

July 15, 2022 - Strategic Petroleum Reserve – ... Crude oil from the reserve are being made available each day for sale to the highest bidding company. Some of the companies have then chosen to export some of the oil to countries around the world, including China....

Reuters

August 1, 2022 - On Tuesday said it will sell an additional 20 million barrels of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve as part of a previous plan to tap the facility to calm oil prices boosted by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and as demand recovers from the pandemic.

Respected Contributor

Gas today was at $5.39 a gallon, I live in the San Gabriel Valley area that's about 15 miles east of downtown L.A.  Gas has been around $4.39 - $5.00 range for months.

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Earlier in the year, OPEC members agreed to cut oil production through 2024. That accounts for some of the increase.

@Zernia Rose 

Based on the comments here, a lot of people are conveniently forgetting that.  

Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 

You can have your electric vehicles. Not for me as they are not the panacea that officials make them out to be.

The US needs to take care of the US instead of the rest of the world, and if that means using some oil, so be it. We have some problems here and why do our hard earned dollars/taxes routinely leave our country instead of caring our own. We all have opinions on it, but not to be discussed here.

@Jacie 

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  I'm not trying to foist EVs on anybody.  As with anything else, they will improve with subsequent years or generations.   

When operating an EV becomes cheaper than operating a gas vehicle, the tide will turn. (Personally, I think hybrids will be leading in sales in a few years, but who knows for sure?)

A big part of our problem was stated in Post #20, in case you missed that fact.  

Since the U.S. is already paying less for gas than many other countries worldwide, that should tell you something.   Our country needs to look at the big picture, as well as current problems and decisions weighed on both.  It's not easy, to be sure.

I know many people recall when gas was $2 a gallon (or less) but that's never going to happen again.  It's just won't.

Valued Contributor
Up down up down. That story is a constant. Money makes the oil world go around.