Honored Contributor

Re: Frantic last minute shopping

It's Christmas Eve, almost 5:30 AM. I'm going to WM this morning.Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

People shop when they shop. To assert that they've not put any thought into what they're buying based on when they make the purchase is just plain silly. I know a young couple with a very limited budget for their family. They wait until they have their budgeted amount set aside, and then do all their shopping at once, paying cash to make sure they don't go over the limit. It often means that they shop at the last minute. It works for them and that's the only thing that matters. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Many people got paid on Friday and are on a budget.

@missy1 and if they were lucky enough to get a bonus they may have been hoping for, might not have gotten it until Friday.

Respected Contributor

Sweeping generalizations are notoriously untrue. How's that for a generalization? LOL!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's Christmas Eve, almost 5:30 AM. I'm going to WM this morning.Woman Surprised

I would be right there with you, @SilleeMee, but it seems I've caught something that resembles the flu. I'm so p*ssed. All I could say to myself this morning was that better for me to get it then someone who has 20+ people coming for Christmas dinner. It's just me and Hubby so we can deal. But I have some expensive beef tenderloin sitting in the fridge that I don't think I will be able to deal with.

Bah HumBUG! 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee   See ya there!!!!    I like to get "fresh items" at the last minute!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I learn so much here...

Shopping too early for the holidays makes you a terrible gift giver. Shopping too late also makes you terrible.

What is the "acceptable " time frame?    Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

Many people got paid on Friday and are on a budget.

@missy1 and if they were lucky enough to get a bonus they may have been hoping for, might not have gotten it until Friday.

Unfortunately Christmas Bonuses are becoming relics of the past, in the 50s and 60s it was common to give workers a Christmas Bonus. Today, most publicly traded companies do not do it. They are more concerned with their shareholders than the employees. 

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Just got off the phone with a dear cousin, who states she will be out "all night" shopping because several stores are open 24/7 in my area including Kohls and Macy's, I couldn't believe that people shop like this. Who waits until the last minute? Years ago my Uncle would go to the local drug store on Christmas Eve buying all his gifts, it would drive my Aunt crazy when he would package up all the junk.  In my opinion anyone shopping at the last minute hasn't put no thought into their gift giving and is in a state of desperation grabbing anything.

@Reever  Your uncle must have missed out being in the Wal-Mart commercial with the sone "It's Raining Men".  It shows men picking up gifts at the last minute at the WM customer service desk.

LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Some people enjoy it.  Johnny Carson once asked Ed McMahon why he waited until Christmas Eve to shop for his wife every year and he said it was his own ritual, he loved it.  

I remmeber a story of Ed shopping on Rodeo Drive .... he apparently had a tradition of getting inebriated then spending a ridiculous amount of money on his wife,  those were the days, so carefree compared to today.