Honored Contributor

Re: Frantic last minute shopping

If I were a bit younger and my DD wasn't 40-1/2 weeks pregnant, we'd probably be shopping on Christmas Eve.   It's so festive, most everyone is in a nice mood.

We did shop all night on Thanksgiving this year.

Can't wait until next year.

I saved a bit of money back to shop on Tuesday, hit an after Christmas sale or 2.   I usually have to work the day after Christmas so this will be a treat for rme.    Unless she goes into labor!

Respected Contributor

Sounds like you may have a New Years grandchild. Congratulations. And prayers to Mom. 

Honored Contributor

I would love to have not had to be any near a shop today, but, since I'm bringing the baked goods tomorrow, I had to wait until this morning to pick up the goodies at the local bakery.  I was in line close to an hour.  The bakery is not very large.  The line was outside the door, with about 20 people in front of me.  Once you got inside, you had yet to go through a double line before you got near the area where you would ultimately get waited on.  But the bakery is wonderful, and their goodies are well worth the wait.  

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Esteemed Contributor

I went out early today on a whim just to see what sales were to be had and was disappointed.  I thought the sales were weak and the inventory was old.  A few stores opened early but to my surprise, the mall was opening at 10am.  

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

People shop when they shop. To assert that they've not put any thought into what they're buying based on when they make the purchase is just plain silly. I know a young couple with a very limited budget for their family. They wait until they have their budgeted amount set aside, and then do all their shopping at once, paying cash to make sure they don't go over the limit. It often means that they shop at the last minute. It works for them and that's the only thing that matters. 

@FrostyBabe1  You are correct.

Our local consumer expert reported that Friday through today was the best time to shop, the deals are incredible.  Stores want to get rid of their Christmas inventory and are practically giving things away. 

@Reever, it turns out today is the smart day to shop

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Some people enjoy it.  Johnny Carson once asked Ed McMahon why he waited until Christmas Eve to shop for his wife every year and he said it was his own ritual, he loved it.  

I remmeber a story of Ed shopping on Rodeo Drive .... he apparently had a tradition of getting inebriated then spending a ridiculous amount of money on his wife,  those were the days, so carefree compared to today.

@Reever

WHEN wasn't Ed three sheets to the wind?  I remember the story well.  Ed had a favorite expensive jewelry store he went to every year on Christmas Eve.  The store owner knew he would be coming and had a spread of high end jewelry for him to choose from.  Ed loved picking out the perfect piece every year on that evening.

Honored Contributor

I was out yesterday and today, shopping for me.  I just got in at 4.  I hit TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Macys.

All busy, but the lines were moving along, tons of staff and lots of people on the floor keeping things neat.

I noticed that Marshalls and TJ Maxx turned over their store since last night.  Now all the exercise clothing and equipment is completely in the front of the store.

And there's one endcap ready for Valentine's Day ;o)

I wasn't shopping for sales, I was shopping for product.  I don't want to wait until it's all picked over as I need stuff to wear now.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

valentines being put up on Christmas eve has being going on for a long time

The Easter egg Reeses should be out for New Years

Respected Contributor

I had a dear friend that loved to shop on Christmas Eve. She had a great time. She wasn't crazy. She would find wonderful gifts and great sales. It was something she did every year.

There is no reason to think these people won't give a thought to what they want to buy.

She always had her list and wouldn't stop till she found the right gift for every family member.

I shop all year, which I'm sure some people would think that is crazy. In fact, I just bought a birthday gift for our grandson and his birthday isn't till September. 70% offWoman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I was in TJMaxx on Thursday.  A sales associate jokingly asked,"last minute shopping?" I said, no, I'm just starting.  I mean, I got little doodads here and there  but the crux of it  wasn't done.  Lucky for me it was early and the store wasn't crowded at all and I came away with bonanza of gifts.  I wasn't even stressed.  Merry Christmas.