Trusted Contributor

Re: For those interested in the process

@Jackaranda wrote:

Real quick, I have that pesky question of who is going to pay for these vaccinations,doctor visits, housing,school supplies for the children, cell phones,prescriptions, etc.?I mean they won!tbhave jobs yet when they land here, oh wait I just figured it out , the taxpayers. I will tell hubby to work some overtime.

oh, you already know the answer to that. Our government borrows from Peter to pay Paul. That's why SS is going broke. They just go to the well that gets the most funding from our taxes, dip into it, and then set up a new fund to pay for all these new expenses. So that instead of projecting the year 2036 as when the well will be dry for SS, it might be 2026.

I sure hope all these supporters are putting  their money into lock boxes for their own retirements

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Valued Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

Thank you for posting this, Maudelynn.  I hope the process is truly as detailed and thorough as described.

I wholeheartedly supported taking in refugees....until the recent events of the past couple of weeks.  I have done an about-face and feel very strongly that our priority now needs to be protecting our own citizens from possible infiltration.  IMO we need to hold off on the process.  

So I can be clear. What exactly does the event Paris have to do with Syrian refugees?  35% of the refugees we've taken in have been from Asia.  Should we stop that too?

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

Jackaranda wrote:

Real quick, I have that pesky question of who is going to pay for these vaccinations,doctor visits, housing,school supplies for the children, cell phones,prescriptions, etc.?I mean they won!tbhave jobs yet when they land here, oh wait I just figured it out , the taxpayers. I will tell hubby to work some overtime.

a bit off topic and i apologize, but were you aware that every year the US has a green card lottery?  roughly 55000 enter this country every year from all over the world due to this process. it has been going on for years (since 1995). how do you feel about THAT congressional act?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

I already posted excerpts from the CDC.

Here is another link

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/advising-travelers-with-specific-needs/newly-arrived-imm...

The documents are from fiscal year 2012 and Syria is not listed on the tables in that link.

so? They are still on their website and still in place I would assume, otherwise they would delete it one would think? .

My link is from 2014.

and the first link of yours that I clicked on and scrolled through said this:

Refugees, unlike most immigrant populations, are not required to have any vaccinations before arrival in the United States. In addition, many vaccines have limited or no availability in some developing countries or in specific refugee settings. Therefore, most refugees, including adults, will not have had complete Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)-recommended vaccinations when they arrive in the United States.

Honored Contributor

Syria is not a developing country like certain countries in Africa.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

Thank you for posting this, Maudelynn.  I hope the process is truly as detailed and thorough as described.

I wholeheartedly supported taking in refugees....until the recent events of the past couple of weeks.  I have done an about-face and feel very strongly that our priority now needs to be protecting our own citizens from possible infiltration.  IMO we need to hold off on the process.  

So I can be clear. What exactly does the event Paris have to do with Syrian refugees?  35% of the refugees we've taken in have been from Asia.  Should we stop that too?

My post is specifically referring to the Syrian refugee crisis and it has everything to do with the Paris attack.  It's been a huge debate and is all over the news.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: For those interested in the processl

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

a bit off topic and i apologize, but were you aware that every year the US has a green card lottery?  roughly 55000 enter this country every year from all over the world due to this process. it has been going on for years (since 1995). how do you feel about THAT congressional act?

I would have to research that myself to make an opinion. My point is we as a country are tapped out. Finacially don't we have an almost 18 trillion deficit?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

she asked about how they will be taken care of. You mentioned the green card lottery but left off the pertinent details:

There are four main pathways to gain LPR status: family sponsorship, a job offer from a U.S. employer, humanitarian reasons, and selection via a green-card lottery. The immigrant-admission system prioritizes family-based immigrants, followed by employer-sponsored immigrants and those who arrive as humanitarian migrants

this suggests that they come here and live with family who takes care of them, they come here for jobs, the lottery and finally for humanitarian reasons. I would assume that American taxpayers then are not on the hook for the first 2 reasons and that is probably the majority of them, as for the lottery:

Lottery winners must provide proof of a high school education or its equivalent, or demonstrate two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience. They must also pass a medical exam.

So of the 4 paths, 3 of them are not likely to cause our citizens to pay for them, humanitarian entry, most likely yes and those numbers are not posted in that article.

Valued Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

My post is specifically referring to the Syrian refugee crisis and it has everything to do with the Paris attack.  It's been a huge debate and is all over the news.

Yes, but I'm wondering what it means that the Syrian refugee crisis has "everything" to do with the Paris attack.  What specifically?

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Jackaranda wrote:

she asked about how they will be taken care of. You mentioned the green card lottery but left off the pertinent details:

There are four main pathways to gain LPR status: family sponsorship, a job offer from a U.S. employer, humanitarian reasons, and selection via a green-card lottery. The immigrant-admission system prioritizes family-based immigrants, followed by employer-sponsored immigrants and those who arrive as humanitarian migrants

this suggests that they come here and live with family who takes care of them, they come here for jobs, the lottery and finally for humanitarian reasons. I would assume that American taxpayers then are not on the hook for the first 2 reasons and that is probably the majority of them, as for the lottery:

Lottery winners must provide proof of a high school education or its equivalent, or demonstrate two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience. They must also pass a medical exam.

So of the 4 paths, 4 of them are ot likely to cause our citizens to pay for them, humanitarian entry, most likely yes and those numbers are not posted in that article.

you do realize that the government helps them out for a period of time, including medical insurance? after that time they qualify for medicaid. they dont have jobs when they enter the US. they are not required to have any family members here in order to apply. they qualify for assistance with food and housing. so yes, the US funds these types of immigrants also.

when someone comes here even on an immigrant visa and is sponsored by their family, where do you think some of them get their medical care funded?.....and the elderly can qualify for social security and services without having worked a day here.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein