Honored Contributor

For Beatles Fans - On This Day In History

[ Edited ]

Today, Feb. 7, in 1964, The Beatles arrived at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport to begin their first American tour.

And of course, this tour included appearing on the Ed Sullvan show.   I already loved the Beatles by this date in history....watched them on Sullivan...and still love them to this day.   Heart   

And so began The British Invasion.

beatles-jfk.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: For Beatles Fans - On This Day In History

I was young but remember it well. The Beatles changed music forever!! 🎸🎼🎤

Esteemed Contributor

I also remember the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show - and loved them ever since.

Trusted Contributor

I loved them then and still love them now!

Honored Contributor

Instead of being  55 years ago, it seems like only...

Yesterday

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee

Ahhhh, sweet youth and those wonderful days of the Beatles...so young and handsome.

I was 13 in 1963 and my sis bought tickets to see them at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.  It was August and misting rain.

Acoustics were horrible...no big screen TVs.  They were out in center field....couldn't really see them and the screaming was so loud, you couldn't really hear them.

But it was electric and memorable.  When they left the stadium, they exited very near where we were sitting.  I can remember seeing their faces so clearly.  Everyone around us was going crazy, but I just reached out and couldn't speak.

A sweet memory for sure.

Honored Contributor

sullivan.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Oh, I'm so jealous you got to see their faces!   And saw the Fab Four perform live, even though you couldn't hear the music.

I never did get to see all four Beatles perform live together (but have seen Sir Paul three times on his tours).  That's why I loved the half our ending Shea Stadium concert clip at the end of the documentary Eight Days A Week (the version shown in theaters had this video clip; the version shown on TV did not).   It was the closest I will ever come to seeing the Beatles perform live - and you could hear the music and see them in closeup.  I loved every minute of the half hour video clip of that Shea Stadium concert.  I envy your getting to see them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee

I wish I had saved the ticket stubs...but I've never been a saver of things.

Cannot imagine how my sis got the tickets.  I will have to ask her.  A stadium setting is a horrible way to see any concert.  And, back then, the sound systems were weak.

Years later, we laughed that it could have been the janitors out there singing.  Had I not seen them walk off the field with my own eyes, I would never have believed it.

All of it happening in seconds...so fleeting.  The girls all around us were out of control screaming.  It was almost frightening.  I cannot recall screaming at all...just being hypnotized.  

At 68, it's one of my best concert memories ever.  

Trusted Contributor

I thought interesting that they were only together 7 years.